Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Panizas, Andalusian chickpea fritters and a Taste of Yellow

>> Saturday, September 12, 2009


I've made this recipe for the lovely initiative Taste of Yellow 2009, hosted by Barbara of Winosandfoodies with the aim of supporting the Lance Armstrong Foundation and raising awareness of cancer issues worldwide by... cooking yellow food! Check her blog for more information. I found her via the blog Use real butter, one of loveliest food blogs in the net and one of my favourites.


It didn't take very long for me to decide what to make, as I'd been wanting to cook this appetizer for a while. Yellow Panizas are typical from the Cádiz province in Andalusia, where the Sherry wines are made. They are made from yellow chickpea flour, boiled in water, made into a yellow dough thicker than potato mash and then sliced in yellow small pieces and fried. They look suspiciously similar to yellow Provençal panisses, that I first heard about in David Lebovitz's blog (one of my favourite blogs too). I have no idea of how they are connected, but the recipe is almost the same and the name is quite similar. I've found no information about their connection though.


Well then, to the point!

Panizas

  • 250g chickpea flour
  • 750ml water
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • Pinch of turmeric (optional, to boost the yellow color)
  • Virgin olive oil for deep-frying
Put the water in a pot or deep pan and bring to the boil. Add the chickpea flour and the salt and stir to avoid any lumps. You can use a hand mixer to break the lumps. Cook while stirring continuously, until the dough starts to come off the sides of the pot and is as thick as a good potato mash. It can take 5 minutes at least. You can add a pinch of turmeric like me, to enhance the yellow color, or any other flavouring of your choice. I'm sure they must work very well with curry powder, paprika or even some chilli.



Pour the mixture while still hot in an oiled shallow dish or large plate. Be quick, as it solidifies the moment it starts cooling down, preventing you from spreading it properly (trust me, that's exactly what happened to me... I found myself wrestling with the dough, ahem). Then leave it to cool.


Once the dough is at ambient, cut it in small slices or French fries-sized pieces, then deep-fry in olive oil until golden. The original recipe calls for frying in pork fat, but I didn't have any. Olive oil is perfect. I sprinkled them with some additional salt after frying, but that depends on your personal taste.


And... enjoy! Even though I tried to cheat my kids telling them that the yellow fingers on the plate were some kind of Fritos, I had to pay 2 euros each for them to try the panizas... they're difficult. On the other hand, I loved them and ate most of them... the panizas, I mean, not my kids nor the euros... So what? Pulses are very healthy, so they say...

One last thing, it's traditional also to eat them as sweetmeats, with cinnamon, sugar or honey! I guess you need to decrease the amount of salt then, but the recipe I found doesn't give any hint on that.

And last but not least, I want to remember here my husband's eldest sister, Carmen, who died in 2000 of colon cancer.

25 comentarios:

Mardi Michels September 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

I have never heard of these before - they are so pretty!

lisaiscooking September 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM  

Beautiful color, and they look delicious!

Anonymous September 14, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

Ooh...those sound amazing.

Vera September 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

I happened to love everything fried! These fritters look irresistible!

Unknown September 15, 2009 at 1:21 AM  

Thank you for your support of Tasteof Yellow. Miriam. Your post came up on my google alerts. Could you email your details to me at atasteofyellowATgmailDOTcom so I can include them in the round up.

Miriam September 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Mardi: and yummy!
Lisa: they are indeed pretty.
Wendy: thanks!
Vera: me too! When in olive oil, remember I'm Spanish :-)
Barbara: thanks, I just sent you the details from another e-mail account.

Southern Grace Gourmet September 15, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

Great color, They look delicious, you're kids were missing out!

TasteHongKong September 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

Excuse me, would it make any sense if I ask if it can be baked?

Anonymous September 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

Oh, never heard about it before but I find the recipe very creative, well done!

Tasty Eats At Home September 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

I can imagine the texture and flavor of these fritters, yum!

FOODalogue September 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

These look great. I'm thinking it pobably has a similar taste to the Socca found in the south of France. I've been doing Tapas Tuesdays but I'm winding down and have the next few weeks scheduled; otherwise, I'd try it. Meantime, I'll tweet it!

Jessie September 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

wow the color in this dish is very vibrant.I love the idea of chickpea fritters, i can just taste them just by looking at that scrumptious photo

Miriam September 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

Angelia: you're right about my kids...
TasteHK: some readers of the Spanish version of the blog are going to bake them in the oven, I can give you feedback! I guess grilling them under a not-so-hot grill would give good results.
Sophie: thanks!
Mathilde: thanks, indeed they're not very well know outside of the Cádiz province.
Tasty: thanks!
Joan: thanks for the tweeting!
Jessie: I agree, they're easy and tasty, especially if you play with the spices.

Unknown September 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

Hmm... never heard of this before, but it almost reminds me of polenta. Looks good - thanks for sharing!

Simply Life September 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

Wow -that looks amazing!

Miriam September 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

VAlleyWriter: it is indeed very similar to polenta, thanks for visiting!
Simply Life: thanks for visiting!

kiss my spatula September 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

i'm such a huge fan of chickpeas and never thought to make fritters out of them. they look fantastic!

farida September 18, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

This is a great recipe for a great cause. Well done!

sabah September 20, 2009 at 2:49 AM  

They look great, thanks for sharing.

Miriam September 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

Kiss: I'm a big fan too!
Farida: Thanks!
Sabah: Thanks for visiting!

Diana Bauman September 21, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Miriam, I know I would love these! Anything made with garbanzos has to be good. You've really inspired me to start using chickpea flour.

Miriam September 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Diana, you should try it, I'm sure you'll like it.

sarah September 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

This is nice, I had no idea what to do with chickpea flour except for gondi, Persian chicken/chickpea balls for soup. They look alot like biscotti and for a good cause.

Miriam October 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Thanks, Sarah!

Kate May 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

another great looking recipe! i think i MAY try this today....

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP