Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Crab salpicón

>> Wednesday, January 13, 2010

crab salad
Salpicón is a very popular Spanish seafood salad, normally made with an assortment of shellfish, green pepper, onion, garlic, sometimes tomato, of course seasoned with olive oil and vinegar. In Galicia, a region famous for its fresh seafood and fish, both of excellent quality, salpicón made only with crab can be found at many restaurants and bars. I've followed the recipe in this Galician blog, brimming with good family recipes. Almost every summer we spend some time in Galicia (we've got some relatives there) and very likely we have dinner some night at a certain seafood restaurant by the sea, where I very often order crab salpicón. Probably watching the sun set over monte Louro through the large windows. And probably drinking the most delicious albariño... To bring some Atlantic breeze to our table on New Year's Eve, I prepared this dish with the rest of my crab cargo.



Crab salpicón from La Cocina de Lechuza
Makes four servings

  • 2 crabs of 700g each
  • 1/2 yellow pepper (red is normally used, only I saw this color at the market and I picked it, it's quite unusual where I live)
  • 1/2 green pepper
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 eggs
  • Olive oil
  • White vinegar
  • Salt
Boil the crabs if they're not boiled. Let them cool. Break their shells and pick all the meat from shell and legs. Set aside. Next prepare the vinaigrette; finely dice both peppers and onion. Put 4-5 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp white vinegar in a bowl. You can play with the ratio, depending on how strong you like your vinaigrette. Then add one tsp of salt, not heaped. Try for seasoning; it must be on the strong side, enough for giving flavor to the vegetables and crab. Then add the diced vegetables and toss.


Hard-boil the eggs in the meantime. Leave to cool and peel. To serve the salad, put the crab meat on a pretty serving dish, add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Finely cut the eggs into pieces and lay on top of the salad, you can sprinkle some salt on the egg too. And serve... don't you feel the sea breeze?

crab salad

21 comentarios:

Divina Pe January 13, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

This is such a refreshing dish. Love the colors and I could almost taste the sweet crab.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) January 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Eating a seafood salad by the sea would be my ultimate fantasy at the moment.

Mother Rimmy January 13, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

Simple and delicious. I love all the colors. So healthy looking!

kathyvegas January 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

Just lovely..looks like a taste of a vacation someplace warm and beautuful

? January 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

Loved the pictures and the recipe!

singerinkitchen January 13, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

I do not know if I told you this but I imagine I would have something like this in A Coruna. I was there 2 years ago and this salad reminds me of the sea there! Great picture!

dokuzuncubulut January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Beautiful presentation. What a pretty dish!

Robin, David, Simon and Leo January 13, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

What a beautiful dish. The colors are amazing.

Drick January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

now what seafood lover wouldn't like this - it is so refreshing in taste, easy to prepare and presented in such a comforting manner...wonderul dish, seaside or not

Tasty Eats At Home January 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

All you had to say was "crab" and I'm there. LOVE crab. Gorgeous photos by the way.

Miranda January 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

I love crab....This looks absolutely mouthwatering. Well done.

Anonymous January 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

Just my kind of salad!

Mari Nuñez January 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

I know my family will enjoy this. It looks delicioso.

Sortachef January 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

My wife might be the Queen of Green Salads, but your seafood salad is the type I crave. Thanks, Miriam!

Tasty Trix January 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

As a Marylander who knows a thing or 2 about crabs, I wholeheartedly approve!!!

Brie: Le Grand Fromage January 14, 2010 at 3:37 AM  

this dish looks so fresh. i would love to eat this any time of year.

TasteHongKong January 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

Who can resist this?!

penny aka jeroxie January 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

So refereshing and lovely colours. And how can one not love crab.

The Chickenless Chick January 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

Beautiful salad! The yellow pepper was a great choice.

Miriam January 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

Divina: thanks!
Val: mmmm, mine too! ;-)
Mother Rimmy: thank you!
Kathy: yes, that's it!
?: thnaks!
Noelle: yes, I think you did! It's very likely as it's typical dish in that area. Thanks!
Dokuzuncubulut: thanks!
VM: thank youuuuuuuuu!
Drick: mmmm seafood lovers, count me in!
Tasty: thanks!
Miranda: thank you!
Ruth: just try it!
Mari: it is!
Sortachef: you're welcome!
Trix: mmm, from Maryland! Yes, I'm sure you know about this ;-)
Brie: thank you!
THK: just give in to the temptation... ;-)
Penny: thanks!
Chick: thank you!

Diana Bauman January 18, 2010 at 4:59 AM  

Miriam, what a beautiful salpicon and pictures! You really made me want a nice glass of albarino as well :D

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP