Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tortas de aceite or sweet olive oil wafers for World Bread Day

>> Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tortas aceite 1

These tortas de aceite, meaning olive oil wafers, originate from Andalusia and they are one of those sweet things that are well known and widely eaten throughout Spain because they are just delicious. They are one of those wafers you eat unnoticedly one after another... to regret it after a few days when you cannot button up your trousers... And it was one of those recipes that has been in the pipeline since years ago, so what better occasion than the celebration of the World Bread Day to tackle them. It is also one of those miraculous cases where the taste of the homemade product is identical to the purchased one... yes, I tell you, it's unbelievable, they are just as delicious, with their anise flavour. Only their looks are not just as wonderful, but you can not compare a home oven with an industrial oven. The taste though... mmm.


The recipe is taken from the Andalusian government specification for the production of tortas de aceite, but modified and fine-tuned according to some hints found here and there, even at Wild Yeast (Susan succeeded in making wonderfully looking tortas). This is what the Government of Andalusia tells us about these tortas:

The name "TORTA DE ACEITE" expresses the specific characteristics of the product since it is a confection made from extra virgin olive oil in a proportion 27.7%. The combination of this factor with its fully manual processing, gives the product its most precious qualities: a light, thin crust, a flaky interior and its distinctive flavor and aroma of olive oil.
Tortas aceite 2

Well, that's it, all you need is good virgin olive oil (bushels of oil...), and to pour a lot of love in preparing them.

Tortas de aceite y anís, sweet olive oil wafers
Yields around 25 tortas
  • 660g AP-flour (the recommended flour is W=100 strength, that means something in between all-purpose and bread flour. I used 350g spelt and 310g AP flour. You know the exact amount can vary depending on the flour absorption qualities.)
  • 27g inverted sugar *
  • 230g water
  • 13g fresh yeast
  • 280g virgin olive oil
  • 10g aniseed
  • 7g sesame seeds
  • 3g salt
  • 10g plain sugar
  • 0,3g aniseed oil or essence
* Inverted sugar is commonly used to retard sugar crystallization in the food industry and to retain moisture in packaged foods and expand shelf life (source). It's very easy to make at home, by heating common sugar in some water with lemon juice and sodium bicarbonate. I guess the recipe includes inverted sugar only because it is a commercial formula. At home it could be omitted and you could use plain sugar, in which case, as invert sugar has a sweetening power of 130 compared to 100 of sucrose, the final amount would be at 27g·130/100 + 10g = 45g of normal sugar. Although it would be necessary to slightly adjust the amount of flour, as invert sugar is liquid and plain sugar is solid.

Tortas aceite 5Tortas aceite 6
  1. Weigh the flour and put in a bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well (I do this in a stand mixer).
  2. Add the solid ingredients and knead a couple of minutes. It really is not necessary to develop the gluten, I did it because I love to knead.
  3. Cover the dough with a shower cap and let double in bulk. Allow the yeastie-beasties to enjoy the moment, after all these happy little creatures believe that life is nothing but eating and replicating... unaware that they live and work for a supreme being until they are slaughtered in an oven... How poignant. The specification indicates that the dough must be between 25º and 28ºC after kneading... Mine scored a perfect temperature, as you can see in the photo.
  4. Preheat the oven to 190ºC if convection type, higher if radiation.
  5. When the dough has doubled in bulk, put on the counter and pat it to deflate. Pinch dough balls the size of an apricot and roll them into circles of about 20cm in diameter and about 3mm thick. There is no need to flour the countertop because oil oozes from every pore of the dough. Put sugar on a plate and coat one side of each torta by resting it on the sugar. Place the wafers on parchment paper with sugar side up and bake around 10 minutes. Be careful when approaching the end of the baking, because my experience is that since the edges start to toast until they get completely browned it may take less than a couple of minutes. This may be due to the fact that invert sugar caramelizes at a lower temperature than sucrose.
  6. When done, take them out to a cooling rack. The aroma throughout the house is fantastic. I recommend to bake these wafers if you have visitors whom you wish to ask some favor. They will not refuse.
Tortas aceite 4Tortas aceite 3

This bread goes to the celebration of the World Bread Day at the blog 1 x umrühren bitte.

29 comentarios:

Tania October 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

Your recipe for the WBD is wonderful! Olive oil is a great ingredient and I'm sure those wafers have a good aroma!

Cherine October 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Wow, your torta looks wonderful!!

Tiffany October 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Beautiful photos, and the wafers look delicious, nicely done!

Dewi October 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

I never made this torta, it certainly sounds delicious !

Gio October 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

your blog is very interesting and beautiful! needless to say that I love spanish cuisine :) added you to my bookmarks
your tortas are very tasty! :)

Zita October 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

My..my, you make your own wafers...sweet olive oil wafers by the name only it sounds delicious and your pics prove it right :)

Magic of Spice October 16, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

These are simply wonderful :)

Brie: Le Grand Fromage October 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM  

yum, those look so crispy and delicious!

Deeba PAB October 17, 2010 at 3:38 AM  

What's not to love about these Miriam? WOW... just perfect with that cuppa. I love olive oil anything, and these are gorgeous!

fromBAtoParis October 17, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

I know these treats, thanks to a Spanish neighour and friend, that I had the first time I lived here...You eat one and you never stop!!
Lovely photos and I LOVE the cup and saucer !!!

Johanna October 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

hmmm, I haven't tried these yet- will have to make some myself!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) October 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

These are a thing of beauty Miriam. Thanks for sharing this with us on this special day of awareness.

Belinda @zomppa October 17, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

I love these, and I have never seen homemade ones like this before. They are absolutely gorgeous and I am envisioning myself with a plate....

Nancy/SpicieFoodie October 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

Miriam, the tortas look so perfect. I have this strange feeling that I have tasted something similar from a Mexican bakery. It was your mention of the anise flavor that triggered the memory. It's funny for me when I think torta, I think a sandwich, as in Mexico it can also refer to a sandwich :)
Lovely post!

Simones Kitchen October 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

They look so perfect! I've never seen them before while in Spain or maybe I just didn't know where to look. But given the amounts of oil; maybe not the best thing to make while on a diet..:))

Unknown October 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

HOw wonderful! I've made these before using Martha Stewart's recipe. They were surprisingly easy and fun to make.
Yours look absolutely lovely.
*kisses* HH

Miriam October 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

Tania: the aroma is actually a bit too intoxicating... ;)
Cherine: thanks!
Tiffany: thanks!
Elra: they're so easy they're worth a try.
Gio: thank you, I'm honored!
Zita: well, it's the first time I make them actually, just wanted to try my hand at them although the store-bought stuff is very good.
MoS: thank you ;)
Brie: thanks!
Deeba: yes, quietly seating in front of a good cup of coffe or tea watching the autumn sunset... aahhh.
Cristina: then you know the real stuff, haha.
Johanna: try them, you won't regret it! ;)
VAl: yes, they're good to lift the spirits after hearing about hunger the whole day long... at least I did here.
Belinda: I picture you trying them... ;)
Nancy: yes, funny how the same words can mean something completely different in different places...
Simone: they are usually stocked at large supermarkets, especially in the south. And... errr... no, they're not the best thing for a diet... XD
HH: mmm, I've seen Martha's recipe and though I'm sure they come out pretty yummy, no one in Andalusia would call that torta de aceite... ;)

Anonymous October 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

I love olive oil in cakes and think your tortas are beautiful. Also very pretty coffee cup!

Jamie October 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

Am I really just discovering your wonderful blog now? Where have I been? These breads (tortas) are fabulous and I will try them. I love the idea of a sweet olive oil bread. Just gorgeous. Happy World Bread Day!

Gwen October 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

How wonderful! I would love love love to make these,,, err attempt to make these. thank you for sharing. I so look forward to reading through your wonderful recipes!

Sara@OneTribeGourmet October 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

What a delicious bread from Andalusia! I miss Spain so much! Thank you for this great recipe!

Kris Ngoei October 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Are these waffles crispy? They look so ... and yummy! Just love the texture... thanks for sharing :-)

Sawadee from bangkok,
Kris

M. October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

such a great recipe to celebrate world bread day with... looks so delicious!

azélias kitchen October 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

I'm very interested in these since they're dairy-free and egg-free so certainly will go on my must try list.

I can never have too many recipes for my allergy suffering daughter, I'll have to change the flavourings and make it more child friendly for her.

bookmarking! :)

Sanjana October 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

Wow! These are so beautiful- We make something similar in India cuisine called Farsi puri which we have with tea. Although this is much more refined and I love the use of olive oil. A much healthier option than Farsi puri. Congrats on the Foodista cookbook win! I look forward to seeing you in the book too, cookbook neighbour! :)

baby crib March 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM  

This is really something so pretty! I am definitely into this. Thanks fo sharing.

Tina (Tangerine Tea) June 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM  

I tried this recipe exactly as is and my first batch turned out much thicker and softer than the Matiz ones I had bought from the store. I think they needed a bit more anise too. For the second batch, I rolled out each ball so it was paper thin (rather than 3mm), then brushed it with a light coat of extra anise essence on top before coating it with sugar and sesame seeds. Adding extra sesame on top gives it that yummy toasted sesame flavour. Anyway, the second batch was a lot more in line with what I was expecting! Thanks for posting this recipe :) It was a good starting point for me.

Anonymous July 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM  

You inspire me. My mom made somthing like this when I was growing up. SHe used to make fresh flour tortillas every evening for dinner and she would save some of her dough, roll it out and fry it up in round and long shapes. We would sprinkle them with sugar, borwn sugar, or cinnamon sugar, whatever we had on hand and it would be a wonderful treat. These look like a much more elegant grown up flavorful version. I love that they are made with olive oil. They look so beautiful and yummy. I love to bake but I need more practice making yeast dough. I am going to try these and hope I do a good job. Would it be possible to make this dough in a bread maker? Since I am short on time I would love to just wake up to the ready made dough, roll it out and bake them for an early morning treat. Or can I make it ahead of time and keep the dough in the refrigerator for the next morning? I am also trying to find the proper conversion from grams to cups. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I will continue to enjoy your blog. Thank you.

Miriam July 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM  

Anonymous: of course you can make the dough in a bread machine, but you don't need a full program to knead it, as it doesn't really need proper gluten development. I can't tell you if this dough can be retarded overnight in the fridge, I have never tried, but I don't see why not. The only thing is that you'd probably need to let it temper some time before forming the tortas. Good luck!

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP