Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Soufflé potatoes with soft garlic

>> Saturday, January 22, 2011

Soufflé potatoes 1

This month a fellow Spanish blogger was challenging us to prepare a soufflé. The name of this dish comes from the French and means literally blown up. I think I've prepared a soufflé only once in my life before this, back in the mists of time, and I barely remember it. Bad thing, because if it had been memorable, I would remember. But that means too that it was not a complete disaster. You know that soufflé is a classic dish in French cuisine, which can be sweet or savory, and when it is savory it is made almost always with a bechamel sauce base with egg yolks to which various flavorings can be added, then mixed with the egg whites beaten to stiff peaks, which are the element that gives the soufflé its lightness. Soufflés are baked in the oven, where, if well prepared, they greatly increase in volume. They have the disadvantage then that on cooling they can go down... deflate... demoralize... collapse. So, do not give them time. The best solution is just to devour them as quickly as possible... without warning.


Among the various preparation options we were given in the challenge, it was to prepare the soufflé with potatoes using their skins as containers. Good idea, nothing is wasted. Instead of the classic gruyére cheese, I decided to use Manchego cheese (you know of my liking for Manchego... or perhaps I should call it addiction), and to add just a little more spark, use some stir-fried soft garlic. And so I started out on a sunny January morning.

Soft garlic 1

Soft garlic 2

Soft garlic 3

My source for the recipe is a beautiful video, here. And here goes my adaptation:

Soufflé potatoes with Manchego cheese and tender garlic
Yields four servings:

  • 4 medium sized starchy potatoes
  • 4 eggs
  • 100g Manchego cheese
  • 15ml virgin olive oil for rubbing the potatoes
  • 30g butter
  • 1 bunch of soft garlic (you can use more if you are a soft garlic lover)
  • More virgin olive oil for frying the garlic
  • Salt and pepper
Soufflé potatoes 3
  1. We start by preheating the oven to 180ºC to roast the potatoes. Wash the potatoes thoroughly and dry them very well. Rub them with the oil and coat them in salt (for the skins to get crispy) and place them on a baking dish. When the oven is hot, roast the potatoes for an hour or as required. 
  2. In the meantime grate the cheese as finely as you want. Set aside.
  3. Clean the soft garlic, getting rid of the outer layers and slice finely; stir-fry with some olive oil on medium heat till wilted. Drain the oil and set aside too.
  4. Crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Keep the whites in the fridge as they will be the last ingredient to be added to the soufflé mixture.
  5. When the potatoes are thoroughly baked and soft (check by piercing them with a knife) take them out and let them temper a little, enough to avoid burns. Cut in half and hollow them with a spoon; put the potato meat in a bowl. Set the skins aside for later. Lightly mash the potato with a fork while still warm.
  6. Raise the oven temperature to 200ºC.
  7. Beat yolks lightly and add to mashed potatoes, mix well.
  8. Add the butter, then the cheese and well drained garlic, then the salt and pepper. Check the seasoning, it should be on the salty side because you will still add the egg whites.
  9. Whisk the whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, preferably with some electric appliance if you have it. Carefully mix with the mashed potato, slowly and carefully to deflate the whites as little as possible.
  10. When thoroughly mixed, scoop portions of the mixture into the potato skins, just a little over the edge. After filling all the potatoes there will be leftover mixture enough to fill a small soufflé mold. Rub the mold with butter or oil, sprinkle with bread crumbs and pour the remaining soufflé mixture. The mold must be large enough to fit the surplus to a height of about 3/4. You can sprinkle all the soufflés with more cheese so that the tops brown nicely in the oven. Place the filled potatoes in a baking dish and bake everything around 15-20 minutes (the soufflé in the mold takes a tad more, as the amount is larger than in the potatoes).
  11. Remove the soufflés from the oven and devour, without burning your tongue. If the potatoes were fine enough, they can be eaten whole, skin and all.
Soufflé potatoes 2

This is a succulent and fairly easy recipe and, at least in small doses it does not present a great danger of collapsing. And I like these dishes to which you can add a lot of different ingredients to make them more varied. Tell me, have you ever attempted to make soufflé? Now you have run out of excuses.

Firma 200px

26 comentarios:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) January 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

My love of potatoes is legendary with my family. These are lovely Miriam.

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams January 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM  

Miriam, I agree that soufflés can definitely be tricky. I don't make them much because of that. This version with potatoes and manchego looks easy and delicious. It is inspiring to get baking soufflé again.

Belinda @zomppa January 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

This souffle is not only beautiful, but I love the Manchego and garlic!

FOODalogue January 23, 2011 at 1:27 AM  

This is such an elegant way to serve potatoes. Well done!

Claudie January 23, 2011 at 2:55 AM  

Your photographs are amazing. And the recipe is great too -- I love how the potatoes look at the end. Simply lovely!

p January 23, 2011 at 6:35 AM  

Love the first shot of scallions! Great recipe!

Medifast Coupons January 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM  

These photo's look amazing. True talent. The potato soufflé of course is breathtaking. Well done!

Nancy January 25, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

Your Souffle Potatoes look so mouthwatering. What great information on Souffles, I learn somethings:) Your photos are so soultry, particularly the one with the onion heads.

Unknown January 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM  

This is the first time I have visited your site, and I am now a follower. I do believe I have fallen in love with your recipes right off the bat, and your photography is wonderful - I wish I could get my photos to turn out so lovely.

I look forward to reading more! All the best.
~Megan

Miriam January 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

Val: thanks!
Nisrine: I found this version easy to make, maybe in small sizes soufflés don't deflate so quickly.
Belinda, Joan, Claudie, P, MC: thanks all!
SF: thanks!
WBCC: welcome to my site then... I hope you enjoy your stay! ;)

Janet January 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

How nice to find someone else blogging from her KITCHEN IN SPAIN! Saludos, Janet

Miriam January 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

Janet, and it's so nice to have found you too...

Alina January 25, 2011 at 7:42 PM  

Terrific potato souffles, Miriam! I can have potatoes every day. They are *so* versatile!

Tasty Trix January 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

How funny! I seriously just made a classic French cheese souffle for lunch the other day - and you know what was weird? It was kind of easy, and it turned out fabulous. But then, maybe that's because I ate it, as you say - quickly!! I absolutely adore your little souffle potato bites here ... I fear they may be addicting???

Aud39 January 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM  

Another good recipe and yes thank you for the "quiche brocolais - saumon - Ma,chego", we loved it !

Frank January 31, 2011 at 1:37 PM  

Ah, you are tempting me here! All the good stuff I love: carbs, cheese, a bit of garlic and olive oil... Must. try. to. re.sist...

Aldy February 2, 2011 at 1:58 AM  

Miriam, What a breath-taking dish!!! So delicate and elegant:)Absolutely MOUTH-WATERING!

Te ha quedado fantastico,

Besotes,

Aldy.

Unknown February 2, 2011 at 4:21 AM  

These are beautiful and your photography is stunning

tasteofbeirut February 6, 2011 at 6:44 AM  

I had been thinking about making souffléd potatoes after watching some french chef making them; your post convinced me i need to make them now asap/ beautiful dish and i love the use of manchego in them.

Maria February 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM  

Gorgeous! I can imagine how delicious these would be :-)

Jonny February 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

so, I've never eaten soft garlic, but if the snow ever clears from our garden, the cloves I planted in the autumn should shoot right up afterwards. If this indeed comes to pass, I will be making this and rubbing my belly with glee. It's not dissimilar to the Aligot of the Auvergne, minus the souffle part, I mean. Cheese, garlic and potatoes, whipped together... can't beat it! (pun intended)

Miriam February 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

Alina: sure they are!
Trix: yes, it seems scary at first, but it's not so complicated after all, or we're just such skilled cooks... nothing can beat us! XD
Aud39: ;)
Frank: do.your.best. LOL
ADG: gracias!
Wizzy: thanks!
ToB: I'm sure you could give them an incredible Lebanese twist...
Maria: thanks!
Jonny: LOL

Cherine February 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM  

Those potatoes are to die for!

Jamie February 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

Miriam, these are absolutely fabulous! I want some now! Wow! And I love the idea of mini soufflés served like this... and with the addition of a good, hearty cheese and garlic? Fabulous!

Inspired by eRecipeCards February 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Hi Miriam, we have never talked, but I have been lurking here for a bit. You have a wonderful blog. I made these this week. I cooked mine on my grill (steak, creamed spinach and these). They came out wonderful. I did a post today and gave you as much credit as you deserved. Thanks, will be lurking again...

Dave
Year on the Grill
http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/2011/02/grilled-potato-souffle.html

Amelia PS March 9, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

wonderful and elegant presentation for such earthy unassuming root...the potato!

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP