>> Thursday, February 23, 2012
Fine, now that you already know how to prepare a good Spanish tortilla we can move on and put that knowledge to good use on a different tapa, on some cute stuffed mini peppers with Spanish tortilla. This is a relatively recent twist on the Spanish tortilla with green peppers, where instead of adding the sliced and stir-fried peppers to the tortilla mixture and then concocting a regular tortilla, you make it totally the other way around: peppers outside, tortilla inside. Real fun. And yummy too.
Stuffed mini peppers with Spanish tortilla
Yields a tapa for 2 persons:
- 4-6 mini peppers
- 1 medium-largish potato
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 onion (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Start by preparing the mixture for the Spanish tortilla. Peel and slice the potatoes and do the same with the onion, if adding any. Heat as much oil as you need in a deep skillet or deep-fryer and deep-fry the potatoes and onions on low heat until thoroughly soft. Drain well and let cool. Set aside.
- Break the eggs, put them in a bowl, add a pinch of salt per egg and beat. Add the drained vegetables and mix well, breaking the soft potato in pieces small enough to easily stuff the little peppers. Let the mixture rest a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF.
- Wash the peppers. Carefully remove the top of each pepper and set aside. Discard all seeds and membranes without breaking the peppers.
- Place the peppers in an oven dish where they fit snugly, so that they keep upright. With a teaspoon, fill them with the tortilla mixture. Place the cap on top and brush the peppers with some extra olive oil.
- Bake the peppers something in between 20 and 30 minutes, until the tortilla is set and the peppers are tender, but not browned.