Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Mulled rosé wine

>> Sunday, December 27, 2009

mulled rosé wine
I love the spiced hot wine typical from Northern and Central Europe, mulled wine, glühwein, whatever... Two of my in-laws live in a nearby street and they have a German neighbor. I remember a copious snowfall, some five years ago, that covered all the village streets in white. It happened on the weekend, so we immediately went out on the street with the kids for a nice stroll on the new snow. This German guy didn't think twice and he went out on the street offering German stollen and some glühwein to celebrate the snow with his neighbors... he was chatting with my in-laws, so we were lucky to be invited. That's exactly the perfect way to taste glühwein...


This time I've bottled some spiced wine in cute bottles for Christmas gifting. For a more transparent and appealing look I've used rosé wine, even though the tradition calls for red wine... I hope the Germans aren't offended, sometimes I'm very disrespectful regarding traditions... I've also made it sugar-free, to help relieve the richness of the Christmas fare.


mulled rosé wine
Mulled wine or glühwein
Yields 3 half a liter bottles

  • 2 bottles of good rosé wine (but not excellent!)
  • 2 sticks cinammon
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 4 allspice grains
  • 4 tbsp agave syrup (7 or 8 tbsp sugar, though the sweetening depends on the type of wine and personal taste)
  • 2 tbsp ginger syrup (optional, just if you happen to have it handy, otherwise add another tbsp agave)
About the ginger syrup, I had some leftover from candying ginger, so I used it.

Put all the ingredients in an enameled pot and heat the whole thing up, but don't bring it to a boil. Just leave it to infuse. As we were not going to drink it straight away, I left it to rest overnight, for all the flavors to develop.


mulled rosé wine
The day after filter the wine (I used a paper percolator coffee filter) and transfer to bottles. You can add some spices to the bottles. I added some allspice which I thought would look good at the bottom of the bottles... but it floated, damn. Give the bottles to your loved ones and advise them to serve it hot.

Mmmm, how I long for the snow now...

22 comentarios:

dokuzuncubulut December 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

Wonderful wine! I like it. I'm going to try. Happy Holidays...

kathyvegas December 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

Beautiful idea! The wine inside is as pretty as the bottles. I would be very impressed if someone gave me a bottle of this.

Tasty Trix December 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

This is seriously beautiful. never had mulled rose, and I love the use of vanilla!

Anonymous December 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

Where did you get those lovely bottles?
Luisa

Janice December 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

That's so pretty. Lovely bottles too.

Deana Sidney December 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM  

Love the bottles! I'm new to mulled wine... and rosé and agave is a great idea!

Velva December 28, 2009 at 1:41 AM  

A wonderful mulled wine to be enjoyed when it's cold. Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Holidays to you.

penny aka jeroxie December 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

This is a fantastic idea as presents.

BNDQ8 December 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

Nice idea :) and a lovely recipe!!

Miriam December 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

Dokuzuncubulut: thanks!
Kathy: I hope the recipients were too... :-)
Trix: thanks!
Anonymous: these are recycled glass bottles very easily found in Spain. This is the company that makes them: http://www.la-mediterranea.es/index-ing.htm
They have an online shop, but it seems to be undergoing maintenance.
Janice: Thanks!
LPR: it was delicious... at least I liked it
Velva: thank you!
Penny: thanks!
BNDQ8: thank you!

Les jours évanouis December 29, 2009 at 3:11 AM  

Gorgeous bottles and beautiful color! Now how do I get on the list of the loved ones?

Diana Bauman December 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Beautiful Miriam and congrats on top post! Un beso

Noel Chapman December 29, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

Those bottles are beautiful! What a great gift idea!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine December 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

These are absolutely beautiful and well deserving NO#1 on the TOP 9 Congratualtions on your beautiful post!!!!!! Happy New Year

Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

Oh, Yum. And the bottles are gorgeous!

David @ Green Kitchen Stories December 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Mmm, it sounds good. When we are on ski-vacations in northern Sweden we often drink glühwein to warm us up. How great that you made it without sugar!
It is actually really cold in Stockholm right now. Your glühwine will probably warm just as good even though we are not skiing.

Erica December 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

Beautiful pictures!!!! happy new year!

Shirley December 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Mulled wine is my favourite! I would love a gift like that! Good post and amazing bottles!

The Chickenless Chick December 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Gorgeous presentation! I love the story about your in-laws' neighbor... we don't have that same sense of community in our neighborhood. People who go out of their way to share conversation and good glass of wine with their neighbors should be hugged!

singerinkitchen December 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Great recipe, presentation and pictures! What a great gift. Must save this idea for next year! Thanks!

Miriam January 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

MC: you've got to bribe me first... XD
Diana: thanks!!
Noel: thank you, I think the recipients liked it
Pegasus: a very Happy New Year to you too!
Pink: thanks!
David: mmm, I'd love to try and ski in Sweden...
Erica: Happy New Year to you too!!
Shirley: thank you!
Sophie: yep, the bottles were a hit!
Chick: haha, I agree with you, but note that we latins are supposed to be the ones going in the street and talking to everyone! Not the Germans! LOL
Noelle: thank you!

Miranda January 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

WOW! I love this! I love homemade wines and flavored wines. This looks so awesome. Send a bottle this way.

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP