Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Broccoli, salmon and manchego quiche

>> Sunday, April 11, 2010

Broccoli salmon quiche 3

Quiche is another staple in my household. Quiches are very versatile and straightforward to make. They're also appealing and eye-catching when on the table, perfect for a dinner party with guests, when you want to impress them (is there any chance when I don't want to impress them?). The original quiche Lorraine, from what all the rest of the quiches in the world are derived, originally uses béchamel sauce in the filling, besides the eggs and the cream... I prefer to keep calories a bit lower (only a bit...) and skip the béchamel. That also makes it quicker to cook.


I find the combination of greens and salmon gives a wonderful character to the quiches. And I don't really know what happens to the vegetables when cooked in the company of cream and eggs, but they mellow and yet taste delicious. In fact this is the only way I can get D. to eat broccoli. One of our friends used to tell me that her husband only ate greens when they came for dinner and I would serve quiche. On the other hand, I've been reading lately that broccoli is packed with antioxidants and it's a very healthy vegetable to eat, therefore... I can find no better way to antioxidize myself than putting broccoli into a moist quiche.

Broccoli, salmon and manchego quiche
Yields 2 generous servings

  • 3 eggs
  • 50ml whipping cream
  • 3 slices smoked salmon
  • 100g broccoli
  • 50g manchego cheese
  • Salt to taste
  • Pastry dough (the one I used here)
  1. Prepare two individual molds or one medium mold. Butter and flour them. Roll the dough on the floured counter and cut two circles. Then carefully place them on the molds. Press to acommodate and trim the excess. To bake them blank, I put them into the freezer for a while and then I bake them with parchment paper and beans on top (am I too cautious?) to prevent the bottom from rising. In the meantime preheat the oven to 180ºC and then bake them for 10 minutes.
  2. Prepare the filling while the crust is baking. Cut the broccoli in several florettes. I either microwave it or steam it. I can't give you the microwaving time, as I always cook it at 5 minutes intervals, I check everytime because it really depends on the quality of the vegetable. Steaming should last around half and hour, but this is variable too. Set aside when cooked.
  3. Shred the manchego cheese and set aside.
  4. Break the eggs, mix with the cream and add salt to taste. Be careful with the salt, as the salmon and the cheese are already quite salty. Set aside.
  5. Once the pastry crusts are ready, take them out on the countertop and fill them. Divide the broccoli into yet smaller florettes and lay them on the bottom. Then place the strips of salmon on top. Pour the eggs-cream mixture and tap the molds on the counter for the liquid to distribute evenly. Lastly sprinkle the cheese on top.
  6. The smallish molds will be baked in around 20 minutes. If you use a larger mold, it should be ready in around half an hour, but always test for doneness with a skewer.
Broccoli salmon quiche 1

Broccoli salmon quiche 2

Enjoy!

19 comentarios:

Divina Pe April 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Miriam, this is just beautiful. I should try this combination soon.

Belinda @zomppa April 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

YUM!!!!!!!!!! Salmon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Machego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tasty Trix April 11, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

Your crust is just delectable looking, I must get one of these pans. If I were your dinner guest, I would most certainly be impressed!!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table April 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

Beautiful, impressive and no doubt delicious, as I love manchego cheese :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) April 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

This is perfect for guests Miriam.

Simones Kitchen April 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

I love quiches too! I am not sure why i always used to think they were difficult to make until i actually started making them myself! Love the flavors you added here.

Lazaro Cooks April 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

Saw your profile on food buzz. Glad I read your interesting and well-written blog. Look forward to following you here. Have a wonderful day. Cheers!

singerinkitchen April 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM  

Way to go! These look so amazing! Congrats on a great recipe Miriam!

Cristina @ TeenieCakes April 12, 2010 at 2:55 AM  

Absolutely delicious and that crust looks so beautiful!

linda April 12, 2010 at 5:21 AM  

I absolutely adore the look of your quiche. Good on you for trying to help us reduce your calorie intake by excluing the bechamel sauce. My bf loves quiche, so I think he would like for me to bake this for him. thanks for the recipe.

tasteofbeirut April 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Manchego is one of my fav cheeses! I have never had it in a quiche with smoked salmon but imagine how marvelous it would taste! and a glass of champagne?

Emily Malloy April 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

What an absolutely lovely quiche!

Pam April 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

There's nothing quite as delicious as quiche and yours sounds wonderful! Love it with the salmon and must try it! Thanks!

zenchef April 13, 2010 at 3:01 AM  

Okay, this looks exactly like what i'm craving right now. At what time is dinner? :)

Brie: Le Grand Fromage April 14, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

this dish looks so savory and flaky and just delicious!

Mjosé April 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

Buenísimo !!!

Miriam April 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

Divina: thanks!
Belinda: haha
Trix: the pans are soooo cute! I had to buy them...
Denise: thanks! Me too!
Val: thanks!
Simone: they're easy and flavorful!
Lazaro: thank you so much, hope you visit often!
Noelle: Thanks!
Cristina: thanks!
Linda: hope he likes it!
TOB: champagne would be just... greattttt
Emily: thanks!
Pam: thank you!
Zenchef: haha... you can stop by anytime...
Brie: thanks!
Mjosé: gracias!

sadaf April 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM  

Wow great combination for quiche, i will must give it try. nice blog impressive quiche and photography
keep writing & sharing, mariam
do you know mariam is name of my 18 months old daughter :)

Miriam January 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

Oh my, Sadaf, I never answered you! Shame on me... Thanks for your comment.

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP