Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Cherry gazpacho

>> Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cherry gazpacho 1

It seems that the fair weather is here to stay. This pleasant warmth announces the return of one of my favorite fruits (and I don't have many): cherries. On the other hand, at home salmorejos and gazpachos are essential items when the weather gets too hot. There is nothing better than sipping one of these refreshing soups on the terrace, watching the blackbirds and... almost touching nirvana with my fingertips. And you'll be wondering by now, what do cold soups, heat and cherries have in common? Mmm, that in order to add a colorful note to our grey and monotonous lives, and use the first cherries that I found on the market, I decided to try this daring variation of gazpacho, with cherries of course, from the famous Basque chef Martin Berasategui.


Here's the recipe:

Cherry gazpacho 2

Cherry gazpacho by Martín Berasategui

  • 1kg ripe tomatos
  • 220g sweet cherries (the original recipe calls for 200g, I wanted more...)
  • 5g green pepper
  • 5g onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 55g bread crumb
  • 1 tbsp cider vinegar (Sherry vinegar in the original recipe, but it's a bit too strong for me)
  • 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
  • Salt to taste
Cherry gazpacho 3
  1. Pit the cherries, cut all the ingredients in chunks, place in a large bowl and leave overnight, except the vinegar and salt.
  2. The next day, process everything together in a food processor (Thermomix in my case, of course), and put it through a fine sieve if you don't like it chunky. Refrigerate for a couple of hours at least, as it's better served well cooled.
The cherries tame and sweeten the somewhat fiery flavor of traditional gazpacho... and give it such a beautiful color... that I'd love to put it in a frame... none of those so very contemporary artists has invented liquid art? So much for this art, damn it.

Cherry gazpacho 4

I take this opportunity to share some images from my garden. Everything's bloomed all at once, hardly noticed... and this year we had almost forgotten how flowers looked like! Have a happy warm weather, everyone.

28 comentarios:

lululu May 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Beautiful picture! Beautiful dish!

Belinda @zomppa May 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Fabulous use of cherries in season now!

Tasty Trix May 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

The colors of your food and photos just keep getting more and more intense. Hypnotically so - and the addition of cherries to the gazpacho is inspired.

Pam May 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM  

This looks and sounds delicious as cherries are one of my favorites! We used to have a cherry tree and I so miss making so many dishes using them. Thanks for the recipe!

Mari Nuñez May 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Interesting recipe,Very original and it looks delicious.

have a great day :D

Anonymous May 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

Wow, this sounds fantastic! Are these sweet or sour cherries?

Alisa-Foodista May 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

Your recipes and photos never fail to amaze me! This looks delicious!

citronetvanille May 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

I love fruit based gazpacho! I made a watermelon one that was delicious, now your version with cherries is delightful, gorgeous pictures and the color of the gazpacho is incredible! I think I will have to try this one!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) May 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

I can't wait for cherry season now.

Patty May 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

This recipe is AMAZING! Tomatoes and cherries???? Who knew?! I can't even imagine these two combined into one! Are your cherries sweet? I bet that would complement the sweetness of your tomatoes. Oh my goodness, I am so super impressed. Thanks for the inspiration and your photos are gorgeous!

bunkycooks May 26, 2010 at 2:28 AM  

Incredible pictures and a really interesting combination of flavors. I am really curious to try this.

fromBAtoParis May 26, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

Hola Miriam,

Me salvaste!! Anoche mi marido me decia que cuando iba a hacer gaspacho....yo no sé hacer gaspacho...esta receta con las cerezas me parece interesante...Lastima, no puedo ver la video...=(

Alina May 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Love the bold colour of your gazpacho - I'm determined to try making gazpacho at home this summer, so I might also try this variation with cherries... sounds intriguing! Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures from your garden as well!

Mjosé May 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Tiene muy buena pinta.
Nunca se me hubiera ocurrido ponerle cerezas. Lo probé una vez con fresas en Navacerrada.
Enhorabuena.

Isabelle May 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Such a cheerful and brightly coloured soup! I've only ever had the traditional tomato-based gaspacho, so I'm very intrigued at the idea of switching it up and adding in some cherries... it sounds like an amazingly refreshing hot-weather meal.

Emily Malloy May 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Absolutely delicious! I love the color!

we are never full May 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

i'm really intrigued by the addition of cherries. REALLY intrigued. we just had traditional gazpacho for dinner the other night. i had forgotten how awesome it is to eat on a hot day.

FOODalogue May 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Love the twist of adding cherries to gazpacho and, of course, your photos make it look so temptingly delicious.

Sook May 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Oooh the color is just so amazing! Yum!

Unknown May 28, 2010 at 5:04 AM  

Love the Cherry Gazpacho!!! love your photography!!! :)

GreenGirl May 28, 2010 at 5:28 AM  

My mouth is watering, i love cherries and i love tomato soup, your recipe is to be done ASAP, thank You

Anonymous May 28, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

Hi, Miriam. I love the idea of adding cherries to gazpacho and will try it this summer when cherries overlap with tomatoes. Congrats on the FB Top 9, too! Dan

tasteofbeirut May 29, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

These photos were so beautiful I wanted to see them in a poster format!
great recipe Miriam i posted a lebanese gazpacho recipe too but I love your version with cherries it is so original!

Anonymous May 29, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

Miriam - I've defied your notice and given you an award anyway. I felt that to filter out those bloggers who don't 'do' awards would create an artificial list of recipients. You are under no obligation to do anything with it, but I hope you will accept the sincere compliment it represents! Cheers, Ruby :-)

Mika May 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM  

What a wonderful idea!!! I have never tought of putting cherries in a gazpacho...I will try this very soon, it too hot here...

Anna May 29, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

Wow, everything looks so eye popping, this bread made me hungry. Great idea to use cherries. :-)

Miriam May 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

Lululu: thanks!
Belinda: thanks!
Trix: haha, maybe it's the summer approaching...
Pam: oh... I'd loooove to have a cherry tree.
Mari: thanks!
5SF: they are sweet cherries, thanks for the comment. I've corrected the post, because in Spain we simply don't grow sour cherries, therefore cherries alone means always sweet cherries for me!
Alisa: thanks!
CetV: hope you like it!
Val: you must try it!
Patty: yes, my cherries are sweet, they're always sweet in Spain.
Bunkycooks: thanks!
Cristina: jaja, pues ahora ya no tienes excusa... es muy fácil!
Alina: thanks!
Mjosé: las frutas lo suavizan y están bien para variar de vez en cuando.
Isabelle: it is very refreshing indeed
Emily: thanks!
WANF: it is...
Joan: thanks!
Sook: thanks!
Sara: thank you!
GreenGirl: hope you like it as much as me!
Islandeat: thanks!
ToB: I love your recipes too, but I don't have much time to comment!
Ruby: Thanks anyway!
Mika: try it! And come back to tell me...
Anna: thanks!

We Are Not Martha July 10, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

I've totally been craving gazpacho lately and now I know just what I need to add to it... Cherries :)

Sues

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP