Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Spicy and savory butternut squash tart with a rye crust

>> Sunday, November 14, 2010

Squash tart 1

Oh my , this is a long title. For a very uncomplicated dish. I thought I would be able to let the fall go by without making a squash recipe, but I did not succeed. It has been weeks already of squash hype in the blogs and I was feeling a bit stuffed. But as I wanted to try a new recipe for pastry case using some homemade fresh cheese that was decidedly past its prime, I decided to make a small quiche with a nice organic butternut squash I happened to find at the market. I confess I'm not a big fan of squash, I find it a bit... cloying, except when accompanied by a large amount of spices, as in this case, when it can turn out to be quite addictive actually. Still, the quiche did not quite blow away Mr. Winter Guest... but he is a bit of a picky eater. But fortunately I have other relatives who live nearby and are grateful recipients of my dishes. Nothing is wasted at the Winter Guest's household.


As I said, I think squash is an ingredient that cries out for vast quantities of spices, including hot, so it was an excellent opportunity to elaborate on my addiction to... you guessed it: ras-el-hanout. Although a good curry powder is too the perfect match for the sweetness of the squash. The result was excellent considering it was completely improvised just to use up the cheese in the pastry case.

Spicy and savory butternut squash tart with a rye crust
For the pastry case (yields enough for 2 tarts), adapted from The Nordic Diet

  • 75g AP flour
  • 160g rye flour
  • 150g fresh cheese
  • 50g butter
  • 30g cold water
  • 1 pinch salt
  1. Weigh the flours, put them in a food processor and add the cold butter in small pieces. Pulse several times to obtain a crumbly mixture.
  2. Add the fresh cheese and the salt and knead by hand or with the processor until the dough coheres. If it doesn't, start to add the water little by little, until you get a ball. The final amount of water needed depends on the consistency of the cheese and on the hydration of the flours.
  3. Divide dough in half and spread one of the portions with a roller on a floured counter top (you can freeze the other portion for later use). Butter and flour a cake pan and lay the dough on it. Fit it well and prick the bottom with a fork. Put it in the preheated oven (180 ºC) 10 to 15 minutes to seal.
For the filling
  • 400g butternut squash
  • 1 medium potato
  • 2 eggs
  • 50g fresh cheese
  • 50ml milk
  • 1 tsp ras el hanout or curry
  • Olive oil for roasting the squash
  • Salt
  1. Cut the squash into large slices and remove the seeds. Lay onto an oiled baking dish, add salt and brush the slices with more oil. Bake in the oven at 180°C covered with aluminum foil to avoid drying out, until tender, about 3/4 hour, depending on the quality and size of the pieces. You can cook the potato at the same time, though it will take a little shorter (I usually cook the potato in the microwave). You can vary the proportions, decreasing the squash and adding more potato, I find potato makes a great addition to this type tart.
  2. Once the veggies are al dente, let them cool till you can touch them and slice as you like. Arrange the veggies on the half-baked pastry case in a nice pattern.
  3. Then mix the batter for the filling: eggs, cheese, milk and seasonings, and pour it on the veggies. Tap the dish on the counter for the batter to distribute evenly and bake half an hour at 180ºC. Enjoy!
Squash tart 2

My verdict about the pastry case was excellent, you save yourselves a portion of butter by substituting the cheese and the rye flour also gives it a different flavor twist that makes for a pleasant variation to the classical dough. I will definitely use it again.

23 comentarios:

Nancy November 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

Miriam, I agree with you about squash needing a lot of spices. For me I love it either completely alone or with a lot of spices, nothing in between. Your tart looks beautiful and scrumptious. I would also love to try the crust, rye and fresh cheese sound like a great pair.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) November 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

Butternut Squash is showing up often in my home these days. This seems like an easy and yet tasty dish to serve to family or guests.

Belinda @zomppa November 15, 2010 at 12:09 AM  

A rye crust? This is so creative - and beautifully presented, as always.

Chelle B November 15, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

I have yet to make anything with squash in it. I need to. This is the time of year I look forward to all of the squash recipes. This looks so delicious!

Tes November 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

I love squash! This recipe sounds perfect...healthy and delicious :)

eatgreek.net November 15, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

it looks perfect!!!!!! (^_^)
I also like your baking pan! :D

Jennie November 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

I have never had a savory squash tart before but it looks and sounds amazing!!

Tasty Trix November 15, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

I just love using whole grains in tart crust, but I've never used rye. Clever! I too love ras al hanout - this is a great dish, and you know I can never help but to call a tart "cute."

Cindy Waffles November 16, 2010 at 3:35 AM  

Your spicy and savory squash tart looks delicous! I don't think I've had it in a rye crust though. It's such a great time for butternut squash.

Mother Rimmy November 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

Love the addition of rye to the crust. I am a big squash fan, so this dish is right up my alley. :)

Cherine November 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

What a gorgeous tart!! Love the flavors!

postzoom November 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and our goal is to help blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please check us out!

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom

lisa is cooking November 16, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

I completely agree about adding some spice to squash in savory dishes and adding ras el hanout sounds great. The rye crust and the egg and cheese filling sound fantastic!

Sanjeeta kk November 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

The tart looks crispy and delicious. Nice to have dropped here, lovely site. Best wishes.

Mari Nuñez November 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

Looks delicious!! The rye crust makes it even more interesting. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Un saludo,
Mari

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris November 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Si bien a mi me encanta el zapallo (bueno, para algo naci en America...) es verdad que estoy harta de ver todos los blogs con eso...y preparàte!! que el proximo desafio FB es con eso (qué originales son!) Lo que me intereso aqui es tu masa de tarta, que probaré a la brevedad...por queso fresco, decis tipo el Philadelphia?
Gracias Miriam !!!

Patricia Scarpin November 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

That looks amazing! I love the idea of making a rye crust - have been trying to bake with different kinds of flour.
Beautiful!

Deeba PAB November 19, 2010 at 3:31 AM  

Miriam... I ♥ the colours and the warm flavours you got into this tart. Love the tart pan too, and am doing a jig coz I bought one from Sydney a couple of years ago. I am curious to know whcih home made fresh cheese you used. Rye and fresh cheese sound just so good! YUM!!

Prerna@IndianSimmer November 19, 2010 at 5:24 AM  

What gorgeous space you have thr! Glad I stumbled upon :-)

Johanna November 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

This looks perfect for Thanksgiving! I could never find rye flour in Madrid- where do you get it from?

Sara@OneTribeGourmet November 20, 2010 at 1:13 AM  

What a gorgeous tart! love it! I also love the flavor of ras-al-hanout!

Magic of Spice November 24, 2010 at 1:01 AM  

Rye crust sounds very creative as well as intriguing...I am actually a big fan of all types of squash, so this tart is seriously making me hungry :)

Alina November 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Oh, rye crust is an excellent idea! I think it's such a great match for the squash and potato! Bookmarked :)

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP