Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Middle-class brioche

>> Sunday, October 18, 2009


I haven't made brioche too often and I don't seem to get hold of it. When I cook a recipe some times I'm lucky and it turns out right the first time and some others, like this one, I have to go through a trial-and-error process. The previous brioche I had baked was delicious, very fluffy, but somewhat overfermented. It had to wait for its turn to get into the oven. It was in a queue behind a roast and a bread... I told you, I need a second oven. This brioche suffered just the opposite: I didn't allow for a complete proofing. But it turned out so beautiful, my little brioche, that I can't resist but posting it.


The middle-class thing comes from the brioche categories included in Mr. Peter Reinhart's book The Bread Baker's Apprentice. The rich-man's brioche is made with a butter weight approximately the same as the weight in flour, the poor-man's brioche is made with a butter weight which is a fourth of the flour weight and the middle-class brioche... well, it's something in between. Nonetheless in the end I took the recipe from the book 100 Great Breads, by British baker Paul Hollywood. I used this one instead of Reinhart's because the process is shorter (yes, I'm always short of time). Reinhart prepares a sponge, leaves it to ferment and then he mixes the sponge with the rest of the ingredients. The complete dough is then left to proof overnight in the fridge. Mr. Hollywood skips the sponge without any remorse.

Middle-class brioche from 100 Great Breads

  • 375 g strong white flour
  • 40 g sugar
  • 15 g fresh baker's yeast
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 75 ml milk
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 185 g butter at ambiente temperature
Mix all the ingredients except the butter in a mixer or by hand. Then knead for 5 minutes by machine or 8 minutes by hand, till the dough is smooth. Add the diced butter and knead again for 5 minutes by machine or 10 minutes by hand. Put the dough into a bowl, cover tighly and leave in the fridge overnight.



Take the dough out of the fridge the next day and make 60 g balls while cold. I could make 13 little balls and there was a bigger ball leftover which I used for a brioche a tête in a muffin mold. My eldest son ate this one, straight from the oven. I'm sure he burnt his mouth, but he won't admit it. Then shape the balls and put them into the mold, with seam face under, leaving quite some room among them as they expand quite a lot. Cover the formed brioche and leave to proof at least one and a half hour, till more than double in size. I should have left it a bit longer, but I had to bake it for me to take it to my parents' house, to be served for dessert at some family meal... I lead a hard life. In the meantime preheat the oven to 200 ºC. Once the oven is a the right temperature, bake it for 20 minutes. It can be brushed with egg yolk prior to baking, but I preferred to make an apricot jam glaze (it seems I never find the right ocassion to use the frozen egg whites) for glazing when cooled. I used two large spoonfuls of apricot jam, heated and strained, with a sheet of gelatin. Brush the cooled brioche with the glaze, leave it to drip and you're done.


And... eat it with a tall glass of cava... or two... or three... I'm sure it's perfect for killing the H1N1 virus. You can use the leftover as toast for breakfast... nothing's to be wasted, we're in a crisis!

By the way, this bread goes to Susan/Wild Yeast for her lovely YeastSpotting.


29 comentarios:

citronetvanille October 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

That brioche looks great! I have one version on my blog that is very easy to bake and a lot lighter on butter, in case you are interested. Very easy to bake and it is impossible to fail.

http://www.citronetvanille.com/blog/desserts/for-a-sunday-breakfast-in-bed-light-braided-brioche

sarah October 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

that looks perfect and so symetrical. Last time I tried brioche it was just too hot and all the butter melted out. middle class brioche looks the type for me.

Anonymous October 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Your brioche looks perfect! And I'm all for the glass or two or three of cava.

Anna October 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Oh boy!! That looks delicious.

lisaiscooking October 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

Beautiful brioche! I'm going to have to try that recipe.

lululu October 19, 2009 at 1:25 AM  

i could feel the softness of your bread! i wish i could be there while the bread was being baked! love the smell of freshly baked bread!

My Little Space October 19, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

I love brioche! And this is in my list. Thanks.

Jessie October 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

beautiful brioche and they look like they were baked to perfection. You can tell how soft and fluffy they are on the inside

Miranda October 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Your broiche is so lovely. It is perfectly cooked....I would love to have a loaf to go with my soup today!

Heads up, I have a giveaway going on..Check it out. :)
Take Care.

Mardi Michels October 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

What a stunning brioche! I am terrible with bread so will just have to live vicariously through your victories!!!

singerinkitchen October 19, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

This is so beautiful! Bellisimo! Congrats! Bread still tends to scare me a bit. I will try soon!

Miriam October 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Citronetvanille: I've been there, lovely brioche too!
Sarah: yes, you need the kitchen to be a bit fresh...
Pink: sure, let's toast... ;-)
Anna: thanks!
Lisa: thanks!
Lululu: you're right, one of the most wonderful smells in the world!
My Little Space: thanks!
Jessie: it didn't taste bad at all...
Miranda: thanks! I've been there already!
Mardi: shall I send you a piece? XD
Noelle: You should try, I had the same thought, but it just takes some practice, really.

Anonymous October 19, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

Looks like it came out excellent! Brioche is my favorite, never made it myself, but really love it!

Mel @ bouchonfor2.com October 20, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Wow, how absolutely gorgeous. I especially love how little kneading it requires.
Your photos are stunning too :) Just added you to my feed. Hope to chat soon!

MC October 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Beautiful as always! I love the name too...

Simply Life October 20, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Wow that looks absolutely amazing! I'm impressed at how perfect it came out (but not surprised)! :)

No-frills Recipes October 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Hi

Wow that sure looks awesome, just feel like having a bite. It's so tempting, and Congrats on being Top 9 today.

Miriam October 20, 2009 at 9:45 PM  

5 Star Foodie: you should try, I'm sure you can make it, you do far more difficult things!
Mel: see you soon!!!
MC: I find Reinhart's category very funny, yes
Simply Life: thanks! ;-) I was amazed at how evenly the little balls expanded.
No-frills: thanks!

katrina October 20, 2009 at 11:36 PM  

These are SO beautiful! You've inspired me to try making them - thanks!

we are never full October 21, 2009 at 12:27 AM  

that really is absolutely beautiful. you had every right to post it. you may have inspired me to make my own in a few weekends.

Amber October 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM  

Beautiful post. The brioche looks fantastic and I like the idea of using a little less butter. Brioche is delicious but I always feel a little guilty eating it.

Lovely photos. Cheers Miriam!

roma October 21, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

most awesome brioche I've seen

Miriam October 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Katrina: wow, what a responsibility for me! ;-)
Amy: wow, again, I'm honoured!
Amber: Thanks!
Roma: thanks for dropping by so that I discovered your site!

Anonymous October 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

Hi there. I baked it today and it worked really well. I´m not a very talented breadmaker, so I was a bit unsure last night when I prepared the dough. I felt like it did no need all the butter in the recipe. I guess I cut it dow to 100grs. So, I was relieved when the brioche came out of the oven looking as good as yours!:))

Miriam October 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Sophie: thanks!
Anonymous: hey, so good to hear about that! The recipe is quite easy and the butter amount can be varied without harming the final result, very good!

Dimah November 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Fabulous! Your brioche looks perfect!

Miriam December 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

Thanks Dimah!

What a Dish! January 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM  

The dough is in the refrigerator right now- can't wait! I love your blog. :) It makes me miss Spain. :)

What a Dish! January 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

We had these with dinner tonight and they were SO good! Everyone loved them and they were gone in minutes. :)

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP