Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Butternut squash and tomato soup with ras el hanout

>> Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ras el hanout soup 2
I've been hooked to the spice mixture ras el hanout ever since I tried it in this lamb dish. After buying it, the moment I remembered once in a while about the jar quietly resting in my cupboard, I went to the kitchen, I opened the jar and sniffed... Absolutely true. As I already told you everything about it in the mentioned post, I won't repeat it here. Just read it, study it and I will cold-call you one of these days... At that time, I used the sauce remaining from the lamb tagine to make a tasty veggie soup that disappeared almost immediately. So here it is another delicious soup with ras el hanout.


This rustic soup is in fact inspired in this one, which is made with roasted vegetables instead of the boring boiled variety, and it's then pureed. Let's get to work.

Tomato and butternut squash soup with ras el hanout

  • 1 medium-small butternut squash
  • 5 good tomatos (organic is better, then maybe they'll have some taste)
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 onion
  • A dash of olive oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tbsp ras el hanout (or 3/4 if you like a spicier soup)
  • Salt to taste
This soup is incredibly simple to prepare and it's good for lunch and as a first course. The roasting gives it a very different flavor from that of plain boiled vegetables. But remember it's not the best choice for kids, because the ras el hanout adds a slight heat.
  1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
  2. Cut the butternut squash in quarters. Cut the tomatos in half. Put both on an oven tray (better lined with aluminum foil). Drizzle with some olive oil. Add the unpeeled cloves of garlic.
  3. Peel the onion and wrap in aluminum foil.
  4. Slide the tray in the oven. Watch the garlic carefully, if it's tender will only take 10 minutes to roast. The rest of the vegetables will take around half an hour, except the onion, which usually takes longer.
  5. Once all the vegetables are tender and thoroughly cooked, take them out and leave to cool slightly. Then peel the garlic and squash.
  6. Put all the vegetables in a food processor or blender, add the water and puree to the desired fineness. You won't need to peel the tomatos if you're device is powerful enough. You can add more water if you like it thinner. I personally like my soup thick and chunky... very rustic.
  7. Then add the spice and salt and boil the soup for 5 or 6 minutes for the flavors to meld. Test for salt and serve!
Ras el hanout soup 1

When you smell the aromas in your house after preparing this soup, you'll also get hooked to ras el hanout...

13 comentarios:

Tasty Eats At Home March 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

I went over and eyeballed that lamb tagine. I must make that. I must make my own ras el hanout! sounds amazing! I love that you suggested grinding rice in your coffee grinder to clean it - why have I never thought of that? Great idea!

Tasty Trix March 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM  

Oh my oh my oh my ... the color is just incredible. Stunning - I MUST make ras el hanout, I have no idea why I haven't yet, but this soup is the last straw. I want it!!

penny aka jeroxie March 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

Beautiful soup. With colder weather kicking in, this will be a hit.

citronetvanille March 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM  

ras el hanout is addictive, beautiful soup!

Robin, David, Simon and Leo March 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

This soup looks amazing.

Anonymous March 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

I was just reading a Moroccan cook book that had a tomato based soup using none other than ras el hanout!
I've never had it I don't think but the book has a recipe for a homemade version than I want to try. Now, where to find nigella seeds? I'll let you know how it turns out!

Anonymous March 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

Looks absolutely great! Just such a pity that where I live I can spot butternuts (or nearly any pumpkins for that matter) only around Halloween time :(

Cara March 5, 2010 at 1:02 AM  

Ohh, I love the butternut and tomato combo here! And I just made a batch of homemade ras al hanout. Heavenly.

Mardi Michels March 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

What a tasty combination - I also love ras el hanout and this is a wonderful use for it!

tasteofbeirut March 8, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

What a fantastic idea! I love the fact that the soup looks so creamy and yet has no cream! I bet the ras el hanout makes it intoxicating! Yummy.

Simones Kitchen March 9, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

That looks amazing! Love the vibrant colors and I sure got to try my own ras el hanout someday soon!

A Canadian Foodie March 10, 2010 at 1:31 AM  

This soup really looks and sounds yummy! I have never eaten anything even close to this = have no frame of reference taste wise, so will have to try it. I am becoming a soup nut! Thank you so much for another great (maybe :) ) recipe!
Valerie

Miriam March 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

TEAH: thanks!
Trix: I'm sure you'll love it!
Penny: yes!
Citronetvanille: it is addictive!
VM: thanks!
Danielle: please do!
NOonion: they used to be quite unknown here too... but now you can find them easily.
Cara: wow!
Mardi: thanks!
TOB: yes, it's very healthy, no cream, only veggies.
Simone: mmmmm
CF: it's very comforting in cold weather...

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP