Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Daring Cooks' challenge May: Stacked green chile and chicken enchiladas

>> Thursday, May 13, 2010

Enchiladas 3

I was really excited about this month's challenge. I haven't tried many Mexican dishes, but so far I've always loved what I've tried. I love mole and I love tacos and I love fajitas and I love quesadillas... now I would taste enchiladas for the first time. Wonderful! I was only afraid that this dish would be too hot for me...

MU7WVWJKBEYQ


Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.

Fine, so the challenge involved making an enchilada sauce consisting mainly of roasted green chiles and tomatillos, grilling some chicken breasts and making some corn tortillas (I already knew about the tortilla part...). The challenge turned out fantastic despite all the mishaps... First, after learning about the challenge, I located an online source of tomatillos in Spain, because I hadn't even seen them in my life. Perfect. Then, when the time arrived for making the enchiladas, I realized I had forgotten to order them, so I had to use green tomatoes and lemon... not the real thing. Shame on me. Second, I searched for green chiles everywhere... but they were nowhere to be found. I used regular green peppers and then add some mildly hot pickled Spanish green guindillas. Third, I wanted to make my own tortillas with my beautiful tortilla press and then I couldn't squeeze into my schedule going down to Madrid to buy the damned tortilla flour... so we had to manage with store-bought tortillas. But still your heroine (that's me) managed to make some delicious enchiladas, my way... here's how.

Enchiladas 2

Stacked green chile & grilled chicken enchiladas
Serves 4

  • 750g green peppers (not bell peppers)
  • 2 green pickled guindillas
  • 250g green tomatoes
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 liter vegetable stock
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts
  • Olive oil
  • 12 small corn tortillas
  • 200g Manchego cheese (the recipe called for cheeses not easily found in Spain and... what the heck, Manchego is perfect)
Enchiladas 1
  1. To make the sauce, first roast the peppers on an oven tray, at 180ºC, till the skin is dark. Take them out to a pot and cover them till cool. In my case, I also roasted the tomatoes.
  2. When cool, get rid of the skin. Fry the minced onion and garlic in a frying-pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, till wilted. Here I mixed this with the peeled peppers, the tomatos and the chopped guindillas in a food processor and pureed it.
  3. Then add the lemon juice, the vegetable stock and the salt and boil the mixture for 10 minutes.
  4. Add the cornstarch dissolved in a little water and continue boiling till the sauce thickens, another 10 minutes.
  5. In the meantime, salt and oil the chicken breasts, put them into an oven dish, add a glug or two of white wine and cook them for 20 minutes at 200ºC. When done, cut or shred in little pieces.
  6. Shred the cheese and set aside.
  7. When the sauce and the chicken are both ready, fry the tortillas slightly in 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil.
  8. Take a large baking dish enough for 4 tortilla stacks or 4 individual oven plates, like I did. Ladle some sauce on the plate base, then lay the first tortilla. Ladle some more sauce on the tortilla, then some shredded chicken and some shredded cheese. Now lay a second tortilla, ladle some sauce on it, more chicken and more cheese. Top with a third tortilla, more sauce and a generous handful of cheese. Make the other three stacks in a similar fashion.
  9. When you have 4 nice stacks, put the baking dish or plates into the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 180ºC until the cheese is melted and browned on top.
  10. Take the enchiladas out of the oven, let them rest for 10 minutes and... enjoy!
Enchiladas 4

Thanks Barbara and Bunnee for a very interesting and timely challenge!

24 comentarios:

Bunnee May 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

What a festive picture! All the proper dishes to complement the dish. It sounds as if you came up with a good way to make the sauce, even without the tomatillos and green chiles. Good job!

Simones Kitchen May 14, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

At least you were able to find an online source for tomatillos! We don't even have green tomatoes so I had to resort to a different sauce alltogether but I totally loved the endresult. Yours looks absolutely gorgeous too!

Cooking Rookie May 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

What a beautiful presentation! As always :-)

Belinda @zomppa May 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

Great! Love manchego...so festive.

Anonymous May 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Beautiful tablecloth! And good job job on the challenge even despite of all the mishaps!

tasteofbeirut May 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

These enchiladas are amongst my favorite dishes of all time! How fun to see that you used manchego and it worked! Looks so juicy and yummy I could eat the whole batch; love the decor you created too.

Emily Malloy May 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

Absolutely gorgeous. I can almost smell it from here!

Asha @ FSK May 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

LOL.. I must say, despite all the "mishaps" it must have turned out great! Love your picture.. so coloful and happy!

blepharisma May 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

This looks great! Now I'm craving Manchego... heh.

Jean May 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

Manchego is perfect, I agree, and your mishaps didn't seem to compromise the final results. Great improvisation on your part. Looks delish!

Sarah May 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

Looks great! You are so lucky to have nice manchego. I love it.

Kiki May 14, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

Looks delish!

Sarah May 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

I must say I had to smile when reading about your challenge, but even with all the obstacles you turned out a beautiful enchilada!

Anonymous May 14, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

beautiful pictures :) looks amazing

Kristi@Ja Cie Kocham May 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

Your dishes match the meal quite nicely! Love the layers!

Anonymous May 15, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

that looks amazing well done! I guess some of the challenge sometimes is getting it all to come together!

Unknown May 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

HI, I love your recipe and photos, looks like a delicious dish to serve for a party, thanks for the recipe.

Audax May 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

That is one beautiful no better exquisite photo such lovely presentation and dishes and great to hear even with the substitutions it was still delicious. Wonderful effort on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Tasty Trix May 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

So funny, I can certainly relate to ingredient-gathering chaos! But you certainly made it work nonetheless! I really love the photo.

Anonymous May 18, 2010 at 2:36 AM  

These kind of recipes are really flexible when it comes to substitutions. Yours came out beautfull and sound delicious.

Kris Ngoei May 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

Love your take of this challenge. And totally adore your Mexican style and set-up for the photos. Beautiful!!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Liz May 19, 2010 at 4:06 AM  

Absolutely mouth-watering photos. Cannot wait to try this. Thank you for sharing!

Cristina May 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Now that's dedication - having to special order those tomatillos. Aren't they cute? They're like little presents peeling pack the rough outer layer to expose to beautiful little green tomato.

All the layers look delicious. Festive and beautiful presentation!

Miriam May 31, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

Bother! I forgot to comment back on this post! Thank you everyone for your comments.

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP