Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Baileys and mascarpone cake

>> Saturday, March 20, 2010

Mascarpone Baileys cake 1

I've loved Baileys as far as I can remember, way back in the Middle Ages... okay, maybe not so long ago. Maybe I have some Irish ancestors. Maybe not, as I hate beer. Or maybe yes, as I think that potatoes are a very nice fruit indeed... The thing is that it appears that this liquor is not very often used for cooking. And it's a pity. That's why I want to contribute to a wider use in baking and to celebrate Saint Patrick's day at the same time (I'm late, I know) with this yummy Baileys cake... And I warn you: this cake tastes a LOT of Baileys. It's only fit for Baileys' lovers. So refrain if you're not a Baileys addict. Like me.


While searching for some recipe to use some homemade mascarpone cheese, I stumbled upon a nice cake recipe with amaretto in a Spanish website. But being that unfortunately amaretto is not my cup of tea, I decided to use Baileys, which makes a good match with mascarpone. And I adapted the recipe to skip the sugar and used agave syrup instead.

Sugar-free mascarpone cheese and Baileys cake

  • 4 medium organic eggs
  • 120g agave syrup
  • 250g mascarpone cheese
  • 100g Baileys
  • 200g flour
  • 1 package baking powder (around 4-5 tsp)
  • 1 pinch salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
  2. Separate the egg yolks and whites. Whip the whites till stiff. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a food processor, add the cheese, the yolks and the syrup, mix thoroughly.
  4. Add the Baileys and mix again. Then add the sifted flour with the pinch of salt and the baking powder. Mix softly and finish the mixing with a spatula.
  5. Then add the whipped whites, stirring delicately so that the whites keep their volume. Butter and flour a cake mold, pour the cake mixture and bake for 30 minutes.
  6. Use a wooden skewer to try for doneness. Take the cake out of the oven, unmold and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Mascarpone Baileys cake 2

The result is a super-moist cake with a delicious Baileys flavor. It keeps really well inside a plastic bag. Everybody loved it at home, except my little one. But he's a picky eater...

12 comentarios:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) March 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

Your cake looks moist and with the addition of mascarpone and Baileys it is over the top.

Tania March 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

A cake with Bayles is a good idea! I looks very soft!

Ingrid March 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Anything containing Baileys has to be good and the cake looks positively delicious. I was wondering what to do with that leftover mascarpone in the fridge, now I know :-) Does the agave syrup change/add to the taste, because I don't have it available and would use (icing)sugar instead.

Keep on cooking, because you rock.

Anonymous March 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

I love Bailey's too! I've even posted a homemade version that I've made for years but I can honestly say that it has never occurred to me to put some in a cake. Good one, Miriam!

Pam March 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Great! I found you! This recipe is great, especially when I love Bailey's and there are so few recipes using it! I bet it is very moist and so delicious! Thanks for the help! Pam

Miranda March 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM  

Lovely cake. It looks perfect.

Plus, I am partial to Baileys....considering that is my daughters name. Recipes with that in the title ALWAYS catches my eye...

Kris Ngoei March 24, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

Bailey and mascarpone cheese! What a great combination!!

Sawadee from bangkok,
Kris

Miriam March 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Val: I really liked it.
Tania: it was indeed incredibly soft.
Ingrid: agave syrup has a very neutral flavor, very similar to sugar. You can use sugar instead of course, but then I recommend you to use 200 g sugar plus 80g vegetable oil in the batter. Agave syrup is a liquid sweetener, therefore you don't need as much liquid in the mixture as you do if you use sugar. And it's also sweeter than sugar, therefore you need a smaller amount.
Danielle: mmm, homemade Baileys!!
Pam: you're welcome! ;-)
Miranda: I see... no wonder!
BIP: thanks!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog March 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

You mixed 2 of weakness: mascarpone and Baileys…this combo in a cake is superb!!

Have a great week,

Gera

tasteofbeirut March 28, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

It looks fabulous and so rich and delicious! I want to make it and stuff my lamb cake with it!

Ingrid March 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

I just wanted to let you know that the sugar/oil combo in order to replace the syrup was a good option and that the cake turned out delicously (much to my houseguests's delight). Thanks for posting this recipe, I think this will be a regular on my menu :-)

Miriam April 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

Gera: then I think you'd love it!
TOB: wow! ;-)
Ingrid: I'm so glad you all liked it!!

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP