Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Remojón or codfish and orange salad

>> Sunday, July 11, 2010

Remojón 2

There is little doubt that this is the best time of the year for salads, that is in the Northern hemisphere of course. And if they're really nourishing, they can be a whole meal in themselves. That's very convenient when your kitchen is above 29ºC (84ºF) like mine these last days. I'm tending to avoid any meal that requires fire and oven as much as I can. But being away from the kitchen is hard for me, mainly because I'm used to the opposite. I don't seem to know what to do with the spare time I suddenly have in my hands. Today I'm posting a very simple and refreshing salad, ancient and traditional in many places of Andalusia, with such an original combination of sweet and savory flavors that would make many a modern chef envious. That's exactly what popular genius is all about. Being inimitable.


Remojón as a salad (there are also warm brothy versions), as far as I know, has countless variations in the provinces of Almería, Granada and Málaga, which are usually prepared on the basis of oranges and salted cod. In some places, the cod is added without desalting, only flaked, in others the fish is baked in the oven, even raw in some... the variations are endless. By the way, check the pronunciation of remojón here (and yes, it's my own voice).

The presence of oranges talks about a dish that was once typical of the Fall/Winter season, in fact consumed at the time of the yearly pork slaughter, which in many places of Spain occurs around Saint Martin's, on November 11th... but now we have insipid fruit grown in greenhouses at any time of year, or other brought from the far side of the globe spending a lot of resources while the Southern hemisphere farmers are hardy paid enough to live... oops, sorry, I get carried away. In short, in early summer we now have oranges available, so the alleged seasonality of this dish is no longer such.

Remojón
Yields 2 servings

  • 250g good salted codfish
  • 2 smallish oranges or 1 large orange
  • 1/4 onion
  • 1 good handful of whole black olives
  • 2 hard boiled eggs
  • Virgin olive oil
Remojón 1
  1. Desalt the codfish by leaving it to rest in water overnight in the fridge. You can also use unsalted cod, of course, only the dish won't have that distinct saltiness. I like the cod on the salty side, the contrast with the sweet flavors is irresistible. The next day, drain the fish, put in an oven dish, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven preheated at 180ºC, taking care not to overbake it. Take out of the oven, let cool, flake it and set aside.
  2. Boil the eggs for 10 minutes, let cool, peel them, cut them in fourths and set aside.
  3. Peel the oranges and get rid of as much pith as you can. Cut them in slices or dice; set aside.
  4. Finely dice the onion.
  5. Pit the olives.
  6. Place the ingredients on the plates in the following order: orange, onion, codfish, olives and eggs. That is if you want to make the salad according to my taste, but if you prefer to contradict me, do as you like. I personally prefer to skip the vinegar with this kind of fruity salads, but adding a good vinegar is the traditional thing. So you have my permission to do it. I'm that magnanimous. And lastly drizzle a fair amount of olive oil on the salad.
Remojón 3

The combination of the sweetness of the orange with the saltiness of the fish, the freshness of the onion and the bitterness of the olives is like an adrenaline dose... I mean it. Just try it.

17 comentarios:

Mari Nuñez July 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

Muy original, delicious and fresh for this summer. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it is a must do for me.

Feliz Domingo : D

Belinda @zomppa July 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

That's a stunning salad!! Great combination!

fromBAtoParis July 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Felicitaciones a los campeones...como deben haber festejado !!!!

Me encanta esta ensalada, el bacalao me viene por tradicion también (mi suegra siempre lo hacia para Pascua) pero nunca lo comi en ensalada!

Las fotos son de maestra !!

Simones Kitchen July 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

That sounds like a perfectly refreshing salad and indeed the only meal to have in this type of weather!

Jessica July 13, 2010 at 5:23 AM  

This looks lovely. I am not much of a fan of cod...would chicken or tuna suffice? Thanks.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Anonymous July 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

Congratulations on the Top 9!

Frank July 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

This dish--the combination of flavors--really intrigues me. I can imagine that tartness of the oranges nicely balances the brininess of the cod. I've got to try this!

And yes, indeed, congrats on the Top 9!

penny aka jeroxie July 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM  

I love this dish! So fresh and congras on top 9! HOOT

Kris Ngoei July 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Codfish, eggs, orange and olive, what a salad combination! Definitely worth trying, love the photos!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

sensiblecooking July 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

such a lovely salad for summer. And the color is amazing. Perfect.

we are never full July 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM  

sounds like great minds think alike! this was our post from a few weeks ago that was created for the same reason - the kitchen was too damn hot!

and we have similar flavors going on here too! http://www.weareneverfull.com/baby-octopus-a-la-plancha-with-citrus-and-fennel/

Tasty Trix July 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

I feel the same - as much as I am enjoying all of my summer tomatoes and things, I do miss cooking in my oven. But I can't bear it. This is a great dish to satisfy the urge to assemble food without causing heatstroke.

Unknown July 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

Salted cod is popular here as well but this salad is new to me. Looks good.

Miriam July 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Mari: thanks!
Belinda: thanks!
Cristina: gracias!
Simone: thanks!
Jessica: well, tuna would do well, but the flavor is quite different.
Anonymous: thanks!
Frank: thank you, Frank
Penny: thanks!
Kris: thank you!
SC: it's quite eye-catching, no doubt
WANF: I saw it! Brilliant!
Trix: haha, yes...
Wizzy: just try it!

◙♥◙ aBbY ◙♥◙ October 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

is there any substitute for the cod fish or bacalao??

I'm from the Philippines and it's really hard to find bacalao...any suggestions??

Miriam October 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM  

Dear reader from the Philippines: I believe hake could be a good substitute. It doesn't have the same strong flavor, especially the one that comes from salted cod, but I'm sure it will be pretty yummy too.

◙♥◙ aBbY ◙♥◙ October 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

thanks for the reply...I didn't know we have bacalao here in the Phil. though it's not bacalao in our term it's bulad. and cod fish is Maya-maya fish in our dialect.

btw, how minutes should you bake the fish? :)

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP