Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

School of tapas: Chorizo a la sidra

>> Friday, June 24, 2011

Chorizo a la sidra

Traditional Spanish cooking is uncomplicated most of the times as it basically relies upon premium quality ingredients. Like good chorizo. Chorizo a la sidra or chorizo cooked in cider is one of the simplest tapas and simplest pairings you can find, fine charcuterie fried in good virgin olive oil and then stewed in cider until the liquid is reduced and the slight sweetness of the drink infuses the chorizo… heaven in a tapa. Skeptical? Don’t judge before you try it. This is a tapa that originates in the northern region of Asturias, a lusciously green, misty and humid area where apple orchards are abundant and so are sidrerías or cider houses. Asturian natural cider is a mildly alcoholic beverage made by fermenting apple juice; it is traditionally poured from the bottle from a certain height so that the liquid crashes into the glass and gets somewhat oxygenated. This fizzying effect only lasts a few seconds, that’s why the cider glassful must be gulped down in one go… Fortunately cider can be enjoyed in this tapa in a less compromising way.


Chorizo a la sidra

Chorizo a la sidra

  • 1 good quality chorizo (not the drier type, but tender)
  • 1 cup natural cider
  • 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
Chorizo a la sidra
  1. Slice the chorizo in 1/2 inch slices and set aside.
  2. Pour the oil on a skillet and heat on medium. Add the chorizo slices and fry until they change in color, but don’t overdo it.
  3. Add the cider and toss to coat the chorizo. Boil for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by one fourth.
  4. Serve in small bowls while still warm, though chorizo a la sidra can also be served at ambient too.
Pour yourself a good glass of red wine or cider and enjoy! And don’t forget to finish the resulting sauce by dunking large pieces of bread in it, what is called mojar in Spanish, literally to wet. I believe the act of mojar is in our genes…

20 comentarios:

zorra June 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

Looks gorgeous! Until now I made it always with sherry, but I have to try this version, too.

mjskit June 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM  

Living in the southwestern USA I can get Mexican chorizo anywhere, so I cook with it a lot. Your Spanish chorizo looks different and delicious. In fact, your chorizo a la sidra looks awesome. I'll have to keep my eye out for spanish chorizo! I love easy and tasty recipes like this. Thanks!

FOODalogue June 25, 2011 at 3:11 AM  

I've done chorizos en vino but never cidra. I can't wait to try it because I believe the cidra will bring an element of brightness.

P.S. Your photos are mouth-watering!

Belinda @zomppa June 25, 2011 at 4:49 AM  

Cooked in cider?? You have me wiping drool from this computer.

Platanos, Mangoes and Me! June 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM  

I weas introduce to your blog by FOODalogue and I I am now a follower. I can't wait to take the time and look through your wonderful blog

Chelle B June 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM  

This sounds delicious. Yummy! I love the idea of mopping up the sauce with bread. Amazing.

Julia @Mélanger June 26, 2011 at 2:30 AM  

I would never have thought of pairing chorizo with cider. Can only imagine how delicious this would taste. Will have to try it soon. Thank you for sharing!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris June 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM  

Ay Miriam..! Esto es "un atentado a la moral y las buenas costumbres" (como diria mi madre) ...al cual yo intentaria por todos los medios de sucumbir !!!!! ja ja
Me encanto!!! Ahora, conseguir un buen chorizo español aqui no me va a ser tan facil...pero intentaré una tienda en el XVIIème!

Frank June 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

This sounds fabulous! Chorizo anything has got to be heavenly!

Btw, in Italian, 'mojar' is 'fare la scarpetta' or 'make the little shoe'—and it's also an integral part of culinary culture. For some, it's the best part of any dish. :)

MrsLavendula June 27, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

oooohhhh those chorizos look so good!

Dewi June 27, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

I love chorizo, I don't think I can live knowing that I don't have any chorizo in my fridge. Your photo making me crave for one right now. Thanks Miriam.

Tasty Trix June 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

I am most certainly not skeptical!! Yum. I have said it before, but it's posts like these that make me so glad I am eating meat again.

Jonny June 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM  

Que buenos fotos, Miriam! This is one of my favorite tapas and your description of pouring natural cider reminds me of a happy afternoon years ago in Luarca, eating fried anchovies and drinking cider. It was amazing the way it was poured from such a height, and without the server looking at the glass. Of course, there was a barrel on the floor to catch the splashes but I've since discovered how hard it is to catch it in the glass.

Maria July 3, 2011 at 2:50 AM  

Loving your tapas posts! I don't really eat meat, but my partner would adore this dish!

Priscila July 5, 2011 at 1:10 AM  

Love your posts and pics! I just came from Spain where I had an amazing wine and food experience and now I'm looking forward to have some time to start replicating tapas recipes like yours.

Kris Ngoei July 5, 2011 at 5:25 AM  

Beautiful photographs, Miriam!

These chorizo... what are they made of? Reminds me of the chinese sausages.... but I find chorizo so much tempting especially when dipped in apple cider, ... just so curious and eager to try!

Simones Kitchen July 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

I love that chorizo but it's the idea of dipping bread into the remaining sauce that'll do it for me! Delicious!

autovit July 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM  

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

Spoon and Chopsticks July 10, 2011 at 4:12 AM  

Sounds really gorgeous and yummy. Love those chorizo.

http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

Anonymous July 31, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

Just back from a holiday in Catalunya and France and collecting Tapas recipes, so I will put this one on my list. I found a Chorizo & bread one (both fried) the other day but I love the sound of cooking in cider. Northern Catalunya has lots of apple orchards, so I can imagine it might be eaten there!
My first comment here, I think, but I have been following your lovely ideas for some time - thank you.
hopeeternal
'Meanderings through my Cookbook'

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP