Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

School of tapas: Ibérico ham and figs on potato nests

>> Friday, October 7, 2011

Nidos de jamón con higos

I recently devised these Ibérico and fig nests for a sponsored entry on my Spanish blog. And they were a success, if I may say so, not only at home but with my readers, that's why I'm posting them here as a delicious tapa. Maybe you're still in time to catch up with the last figs of the season... Ibérico ham with figs is a match made in heaven, as simple as that.


Be sure to get yourself a premium Ibérico ham, you'll notice the difference.

Nidos jamón higos

To the point:

Ibérico ham and figs on potato nests
Ingredients needed per nest:

  • 1 medium potato
  • 3 small mozzarella slices
  • 3 slices Ibérico ham
  • 1 fresh fig
  • Salt to taste
At least in Spain, to prepare the nests with straw potatoes special molds are used that look really like two small strainers, one inside the other. Well, I don't own such a gadget. Incredible, but true (Christmas is around the corner, just a hint). However, this doesn't prevent you from making the nests, as they can be baked in some small casseroles in the oven.

Nidos jamón higos
  1. Peel the potatoes and cut the straws with a blade slicer or a similar gadget. Sauté them slowly or cook them in the microwave until cooked and soft. I added fresh rosemary for additional flavor (if you want to see how to make a tart case with straw potatoes, see this wonderful post by my friend Colette, in English).
  2. Oil the ramekins or small casseroles or line them with parchment paper to avoid sticking. Then line the pan with the cooked straw potatoes, smoothing the surface and pressing them with a spoon. Salt them. 
  3. Put the casseroles into a preheated oven at 340ºF (170ºC) and bake 40 minutes. Watch them closely and adjust temperature and time if necessary so that they brown evenly.
  4. When the nests are baked, place the mozzarella and ham slices in them; bake slightly, for the cheese to soften, but don't overdo it, so not to thoroughly cook the ham. I prefer to add the figs raw, after taking the nests out of the oven, so that they don't soften excessively.
  5. Lastly, enjoy the nests along a good Spanish red wine, with the fig juices oozing out the corners of your mouth.
Nidos jamón higos

14 comentarios:

Simones Kitchen October 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

O that looks good Miriam! I've just had figs yesterday but mmm, I might even prefer your version. lovely!

Belinda @zomppa October 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

Oh how I love these flavors!! These are gorgeous!

Claudie October 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

This just looks fabulous! Great recipe, thank you for sharing!! I'm bookmarking this and will make this for one of the coming holidays.

Jamie October 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

Miriam, I have been seeing figs everywhere on so many blogs but almost all of it sweet. I love that you used figs in a savory dish and it looks and sounds delicious! I love fruit in savory dishes and this one is so autumny! Beautiful!

Tasty Trix October 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

Mmm, yes I prefer figs in a savory dish like this. Truly stunning presentation. HOW did you get that beautiful color, and that little bit of mouth watering shine on the ham - but not too much? Wow.

Michael@noflournosugardiet October 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM  

Hi Miriam,
though I don't eat ham (i'm vegetarian), I do appreciate the cultural importance of ham in Spain...mainly I wanted to compliment you on the powerfully visceral look you captured in the figs! we have a fig tree, but by the time they hit the ground they're never quite so solid!
thanks!
MIchael

FOODalogue October 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

Beautiful, Miriam. Me hace agua en la boca!

Platanos, Mangoes and Me! October 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

Que delicia!

Dewi October 31, 2011 at 7:25 PM  

Such a splendid tapas idea. Fig is my favorite!

Jonny November 15, 2011 at 12:39 AM  

That is yet another killer tapa, Miriam! I love the three textures playing against each other - the crunchy potatoes, the smooth tender ham and the soft, juicy figs.

Aldy November 19, 2011 at 9:01 AM  

Miriam, como estas? Aunque se que haz estado ocupada-- igual paso a saludarte y desearte un buen fin de semana :)
Aldy xx

Belinda @zomppa December 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

Oh wow! You KNOW I am a HUGE fan of ham...especially Spanish hams, and these are so elegant!

Deeba PAB December 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

Absolutely stunning preparation and pictures. Fabulous Miriam...so rich and impressive. I love the depth in character your dish has! Happy holidays my frined!

Russell at Chasing Delicious December 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM  

This looks delicious! What beautiful photos. Yum!

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP