Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Salmon escabeche

>> Tuesday, January 19, 2010

salmon escabeche
I've said it before, I'm a real fan of salmon. It's a flavorful fish and very versatile, either smoked or fresh. And besides it's an oily type of fish, brimming with healthy fatty acids. On the other hand, I love those dishes you can keep for several days and that get even better after some time, like escabeches, which by the way are incredibly easy to prepare. There are thousands of escabeche recipes, buy I've used the recipe by Spanish chef Martín Berasategui, from his book Cocina en casa con Martín Berasategui, that I got from my mother a few days ago. Of course I've tweaked it a tiny bit... couldn't help myself. This escabeche is the type that includes Spanish pimentón, like the recipe used for the ubiquitous canned mussels in escabeche, different from the one I use for tuna fish.


I like that this very old preservation method, said to originate in ancient Persia, from where it spread all over the Mediterranean to end up as a dish identified as genuinely Spanish, can help us to make refined dishes today.

Salmon escabeche

  • 850g fresh salmon
  • 2 tbsp coarse salt
  • 1 tbsp black pepper grains
  • 2 bay leafs (I doubled the amount, I love bay)
  • 10 sprigs parsley, chopped
  • 2 sprigs thyme (I used plain dried leaves, a couple of pinches)
  • 1 clove
  • 2 tbsp sweet Spanish pimentón (I strongly recommend you to go for the real thing, the flavor is very distinct)
  • 1l virgin olive oil (I think this amount is just crazy, I covered the salmon in oil and half a liter was more than enough. And please, don't use any. Other. Type. Of. Oil)
  • 4dl cider vinegar (I also changed this to adjust it to the oil amount, I used around 1,5dl)
  • 1dl good white wine (Berasategui doesn't include wine, but I like it!)

Get yourself a good-looking and skinned piece of salmon. Cut the salmon in cubes (let's say 2"-3" pieces) and lay them on a shallow pot, large enough to keep the salmon in one layer. Avoid metallic utensils when using vinegar, as it reacts with some metals. Sprinkle the salt first and then the rest of the herbs and spices. Toss the salmon lightly to distribute more evenly. Then pour all three liquids, wine, vinegar and oil and put the pot on the stove; turn the heat on. Bring slowly to a boil and turn the heat off immediately the moment the first bubble appears. Cover with a lid, set aside and let the salmon cook in the remanent heat while releasing its juices.

salmon escabeche
My dear Mr. Berasategui lacks restraint because he instructs to eat the salmon immediately, just after cooling. But I preferred to leave it to rest overnight, just because I have more self-control... ahem. Now seriously, I believe this type of dish needs some time for the flavors to soak into the fish. It easily keeps one week or even longer in the fridge. Escabeche is always eaten at ambient temperature, always let it warm up to ambient. This escabeche is simply delicious as a tapa or pincho on toast with some finely sliced tomato and some greens. It's also brilliant flaked on a salad, on top of boiled and sliced potatoes... just feel free to experiment!

salmon escabeche

35 comentarios:

Melody Fury // GourmetFury.com January 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Looks gorgeous! This is something we can easily make in Vancouver because we have a lot of salmon :)

Sarah January 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

I love salmon and have never thought to use it in an escbeche. I love easy tapas recipes.

dokuzuncubulut January 19, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

I love salmon. I can't live withort eating fish. Indispensable..

Janice January 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Lovely, seems like a warm weather dish and it's still so cold here.

lisaiscooking January 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Sounds fantastic! I've been meaning to try a shrimp escabeche dish, and now I want to try this salmon version too.

FOODalogue January 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Sabroso! This looks beautiful especially the way you plated it. I love escabeche...but it must be refrigerated overnight and then brought to room temperature. I've never done it with salmon but I definitely will now.

Tasty Trix January 19, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

I am absolutely drooling, I kid you not. I love salmon, and this looks so great.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) January 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

Salmon is my absolute favourite Miriam. Loving the technique here.

citronetvanille January 20, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

Picture and recipe look amazing...it's 1 am here and I am so hungry just looking at your salmon

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine January 20, 2010 at 12:52 AM  

have never seen salmon look this wonderful wow!

Jessica January 20, 2010 at 1:19 AM  

I can't believe I missed out on this dish when I spent a semester in Spain. I love dishes that get better a day or two after it's made. It makes me practice a little self control so that tomorrow there's still some left to eat!

VegeCooking Club January 20, 2010 at 2:01 AM  

I am not normally a huge salmon fan but your photo was so beautiful I had to stop and look!

Drick January 20, 2010 at 2:23 AM  

not only beautiful to look at but sounds so delicious too .. love reading about the flavors, makes my mouth water...

T. January 20, 2010 at 2:37 AM  

Found this today on Foodgawker and made it for my family tonight. It was DELICIOUS! Thank you for posting.

TasteHongKong January 20, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

Sounds like the oil has locked all the flavors in the salmon. Love both the foods and the pictures.

penny aka jeroxie January 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

this is nice dish and i like dish that tastes better overnight as well. it is a nice party dish because it can be prepared earlier.

Alina January 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

Looks like a great and sophisticated alternative to plain salted salmon that we make almost every week! I'd love to try this the next time we buy salmon. I especially like the fact that it's preserved with wine...love everything with wine in it! (no I'm not a drunkard, I just like the flavour) :)

Sarah January 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Hi! I just wanted to mention that I used one of your recipes on my blog today! Thank you.

Anonymous January 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Gorgeous presentation and a delicious preparation of salmon, excellent!

Simones Kitchen January 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

It looks delicious! I love salmon too. Such a versatile fish to use and the good thing is that most people like salmon, even if they don't like other fish so it's also great when having friends over.

Anonymous January 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

beautiful photographs of a very special looking dish! Nice work!

Patty January 21, 2010 at 2:31 AM  

My goodness! This dish is absolutely gorgeous and an extraordinary leap from my ordinary roast salmon. Thanks so very for sharing this recipe AND for letting us see your most beautiful photos! Very well done!

singerinkitchen January 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

WOW! WHat a delicious dish and presentation. It looks so delectable Miriam!

Tasty Eats At Home January 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Sounds delicious, and much different than most salmon dishes I have tried. I love it!

tasteofbeirut January 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

I had a renewed interest for dishes en escabeche when I found out it was an Arabic word (lol); your salmon looks wonderful!

Maryam January 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

looks Yummi

kathy gori January 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

Looks great, especially with stormy rain and wind here in Sonoma. A reminder of sunny days!!
as per pegasus legend, here's the url from my latest post:
http://www.thecolorsofindiancooking.com/2010/01/cook-beautiful-with-clay.html

Sinful Southern Sweets January 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

What a feast for the eyes! And the taste buds as well!

we are never full January 24, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

love that drip from the salmon on to the bread. wonderful dish.

Erica January 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

Salmon is my favorite fish! Looks perfect, Miriam. Un plato delicioso como siempre :)

farida January 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

I love salmon too! What an interesting recipe. I am absolutely saving it!!

lululu January 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

what a beautiful and creative way to make salmon!

Miriam January 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

Mel: Yeah!
AOFP: tapas are usually not too complicated.
Docuzuncubulut: me neither!
Janice: you're probably right...
Lisa: hope you like it!
Joan: you're right!
Trix: just try it!
Val: thanks!
Citronetvanille: thank youu!
Pegasus: thanks!
Jessica: well, I've only really seen it in Northern Spain
Dawn: thanks!
Drick: thank you!
T.: I'm so glad you made it and liked it!
THK: thank you!
Penny: you're certainly right
Alina: well, it's so common here I can hardly regard it as sophisticated... ;-)
5 Star Foodie: thanks!
Simone: yes, cold dishes are very convenient make-ahead options.
Oneshotbeyond: thanks!
Patty:thank you!
Noelle: thanks!!
Tasty: I guess it's different for you... ;-)
Tasteofbeirut: yep, all Mediterranean!
Maryam: thanks!
Kathy: thank you!
Sinful: thanks!
We are never full: haha, me too!
Erica: graciassss!
Farida: hope you try it and like it!
Lululu: thank you!

Kris Ngoei January 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

Beautifully litted photos. Simply delicious and irresistable!!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

sarah February 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

your salmon is prettier than mine! what great photos. what do you do with the extra sauce that remains? Also what is Spanish pimenton exactly? a type of paprika?

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP