Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Chestnut tiramisu

>> Friday, December 17, 2010

Chestnut tiramisu 1 script EN

This is a variation on the classic, irresistible and delicious tiramisu, inspired by a recipe of Elle à table (this online magazine has some wonderful recipes, I strongly recommend it if you understand some French) an Italian dish sieved through the French love for chestnuts or marrons. I've modified it because the amount of added chestnut seemed simply ridiculous to me and because the eggs were added without separating whites from yolks and with little mixing, I preferred to separate the whites from the yolks, beating those until stiff as per the traditional method and make a custard with the yolks to increase slightly the conservation period of the tiramisu (I guess the true method of using the raw yolks does not give much leeway for conservation). In short, after cutting here and adding there, in the end the recipe only slightly resembles the original. But I assure you it is a terrific dessert for Christmas as it can be prepared the day before the big feast, leaving time for the yummy ladyfingers to thoroughly soak the syrup and for the custard-mousse to settle. It looks as if I had a lazy day, because I prepared the tiramisu with store-bought ladyfingers, store-bought mascarpone and store-bought chestnut puree... you can not be superwoman full time.


Chestnut tiramisu 3

Chestnut tiramisu
Yields 8 large servings

  • 4 eggs
  • 150g unsweetened chestnut puree *
  • 70g agave syrup
  • 500g mascarpone cheese
  • 350g whipping cream
  • 12-16 soft ladyfingers
  • 60cl strong coffee
  • 30cl maple syrup or golden syrup
  • Unsweetened cocoa for sprinkling
* You can replace the total weight of the puree plus the agave syrup for sweetened chestnut puree or chestnut compote, ie, 220 g, eliminating the agave. Naturally, I recommend testing the sweetness of the cream before adding the egg whites, and add more sugar or syrup if necessary. If you prepare the recipe with sweetened chestnut puree, I recommend to use powdered sugar to adjust the sweetness, because plain sugar will not dissolve well in the custard-cream-cheese mixture.

Chestnut tiramisu 2
  1. Break the eggs and separate the yolks from the whites, keep the latter in the fridge.
  2. Put the chestnut puree in a saucepan with the agave syrup on low heat and stir until well mixed. This is not necessary if you use the sweetened chestnut puree, of course. Add the yolks and heat yet very slowly, stirring continuously, until thickened so that the custard coats the back of your spoon. This can be done in a water bath or double boiler too, although it will take longer. Once the custard has thickened, remove from heat and let it temper a little.
  3. While it cools, beat the mascarpone with the cream until well blended. I added a splash of milk because the mixture was too thick.
  4. Add the chestnut custard and mix well again to blend. You should have a relatively smooth cream that can be dosed in the cups or molds after you add the beaten egg whites.
  5. Chop the ladyfingers and lay them on the bottom of eight cups or pretty bowls, preferably glass ones, one and a half or two per glass, though this depends on your personal taste.
  6. Mix the coffee with the golden or maple syrup and drizzle on the ladyfingers.
  7. Then whisk the egg whites until stiff with a stand mixer, a hand beater or whatever you have on hand.
  8. When thoroughly stiff, add the cream-cheese-chestnuts mixture and mix well with a gentle motion. Distribute the mousse among the eight cups, on the ladyfingers. If it is a bit stiff, tap the glasses carefully on a hard surface to settle the mousse and level the surface. Put the bowls in the fridge to let the tirumisu mousse set overnight. The portions are generous, if you prefer more modest rations you can divide the mixture between 10 and 12 bowls instead.
  9. The next day, when ready to serve tiramisu, decorate each serving with two or three marrons glacé (although I used chestnuts in syrup... they are cheaper and are also delicious) and sprinkle cocoa powder on top of everything in the last minute
Chestnut tiramisu 4

I assure you that the day I prepared it, the dessert was a hit with my guests. The result is a feathery airy and smooth cream with a subtle chestnut flavor, nicely complemented with the wet and sweet ladyfingers. Ideal to impress anyone and an elegant dessert for the holiday ahead of us.

17 comentarios:

Belinda @zomppa December 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

What an elegant dessert! Never had it with chestnuts before.

Cherine December 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

This version of tiramisu is simply divine!

Dinners and Dreams December 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

Miriam, I had tiramisu at a Christmas party last night. It was wonderful because it wasn't too sweet. I like the chestnut twist you added; it makes it very Christmas-y!

Nisrine

Tasty Trix December 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

This is stunning! I have recent;y coked with chestnuts for the first time believe it or not, on;y in a savory dish. I am completely won over by them and this this is just a luscious and light application. (And gorgeous photos as always.)

Gio December 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

ah ah you did our italian tiramisu with the chestnuts! :) wonderful idea
do you know our cake with the chestnuts Mont Blanc? I love it!

MyMansBelly December 19, 2010 at 1:09 AM  

I just finished writing my post about Marrons Glacés and Crème de Marrons when I came across your post - how beautiful!

Brooke December 19, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

Oh my goodness, this sounds genius!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris December 19, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

I completely agree with the changes you have made..Elle à Table is great for ideas, as you say, but we have to check...sometimes not that reliable in quantities or methods!
In any case, great job for you!! I'm sure it is delicious!!

Jenn December 20, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

omg this recipe looks perfect for falling in love with tiramisu all over again. Of course it helps that I LOVE chestnuts :)

Aldy December 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Beautiful!!! I just love this version of Tiramisu!

Te quedo PRESIOSO!

Abrazotes,

Aldy.

lisa is cooking December 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

This has me craving chestnuts! Sounds like a fantastic dessert.

Nicole Pearce December 21, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

Miriam,
Can you believe I have never had a chestnut. This recipe might be enough to change that! Hope you are getting caught up on all your Holiday preparations. Happy Holidays!
-Nicole

Unknown December 22, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

I've never tasted chestnuts but looking at this lovely dessert makes me wish I could find them here

Quail December 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

I've made something similar except it was more like a mousse than a tiramisu. However the chestnutty result has me searching for more sweety recipes to use this lovely nut. It's unique and yummy. thanks for posting reciep! Will try!

Ciao Chow Linda December 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM  

Wow, what a great way to enjoy chestnuts.

Prerna@IndianSimmer January 4, 2011 at 4:18 AM  

Oh my, that REALLY looks yum!
and as usual some gorgeous photographs!

Alina January 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM  

Whoa it looks SO airy, SO fluffy! What a heavenly texture! I love chestnuts - last winter I had a lot of them, but not this year... with a baby stroller, my shopping area is very limited, and the nearest supermarket offers quite a poor choice of foods. I've always thought I preferred "unprocessed" chestnuts, just roasted; but your tiramisu makes me think I was wrong.

Followers

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP